Help with troubleshooting a scissor lift

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a scissor lift where it does not function properly when two people of average weight are in it. The lift has enough hydraulic oil and has not exceeded its maximum capacity, leading to speculation that there may be a problem with the pressure relief valve, debris in the hydraulics, air bubbles, or a failing piston seal or bent piston rod. Suggestions for troubleshooting include checking the pressure relief valve, replacing the hydraulic oil filter, and measuring the hydraulic pressure with a gauge.
henrydavid
I http://www.pentalift.com/lift-tables/scissor-lifts&multi-stage.php. It works fine, when a single person is in the lift, but when 2 people of average weight are in the lift it will not go up properly. We haven’t exceeded the rated maximum capacity of the lift platform. It seems like it does not have enough power or hydraulic flow to raise the platform with the weight of 2 people for some unknown reason. I had a look and there is plenty of hydraulic oil in the reservoir. Could it be due to some faulty valve or something restricting the flow? Can anyone offer me some tips where to check?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It could be a problem with the pressure relief valve. Is there metal of filter debris in the hydraulics?
Are there bubbles in the hydraulic oil due to sucking air through pump seals? Have you replaced the hydraulic oil filter?
Are you able to measure the hydraulic pressure? Fit a gauge so you can see pressure rise to relief when hydraulics are activated.
Maybe a hydraulic cylinder piston seal is failing. Maybe a piston rod is bent.

Related to Help with troubleshooting a scissor lift

1. How do I troubleshoot a scissor lift that won't go up?

First, check the power source to ensure it is connected and functioning properly. If the power source is fine, then check the emergency shut-off switch and make sure it is in the correct position. Next, inspect the hydraulic fluid levels and top off if necessary. If the issue persists, it could be a problem with the lift's motor or wiring, and it is best to consult a professional technician.

2. What should I do if my scissor lift is making strange noises?

Strange noises from a scissor lift can indicate a few different issues. First, check the hydraulic fluid levels and top off if needed. If the noise persists, it could be a problem with the lift's motor or the hydraulic system. It is best to stop using the lift and contact a professional technician for further inspection and repair.

3. How do I fix a scissor lift that is stuck in the raised position?

If your scissor lift is stuck in the raised position, it could be due to a problem with the hydraulic system. Check the hydraulic fluid levels and top off if needed. If the lift still won't go down, check the safety lock pins and make sure they are disengaged. If the issue persists, it is best to contact a professional technician for further assistance.

4. What should I do if the scissor lift is not responding to the control panel?

If the scissor lift is not responding to the control panel, first check the power source and ensure it is connected and working properly. Next, check the control panel for any visible damage or loose connections. If everything appears to be in working order, it could be a problem with the control panel itself and it is best to contact a professional technician for repair or replacement.

5. How often should I schedule maintenance for my scissor lift?

It is recommended to schedule maintenance for your scissor lift at least once a year. This will help ensure that all components are functioning properly and any potential issues can be addressed before they become major problems. However, if the scissor lift is used frequently or in harsh environments, more frequent maintenance may be necessary.