Help with Solving Indefinite Integral

In summary: If more precision is requested we can go ahead but the task is very inconfortable... at least for me (Worried)
laura1231
Hi, I tried to solve this integral
\(\displaystyle \int\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{x^3}}dx\)
but i can't solve it...
can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to wolframalpha, the anti-derivative involves elliptic integrals of the first and second kind. Make certain you have copied the problem correctly, and perhaps also provide some context from which this integral derives. There are folks here who are quite good at advanced integrals, and this information may provide enough context to be useful to them. :D

thanks for your answer, this integral is a consequence of an attempt to solve this differential equation $y''+y-\dfrac{y}{1+x^3}=0$...

laura123 said:
thanks for your answer, this integral is a consequence of an attempt to solve this differential equation $y''+y-\dfrac{y}{1+x^3}=0$...

The ODE You have to solve is...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} + y\ \frac{x^{3}}{1 + x^{3}}= 0\ (1)$

... isn't it?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

yes $\chi\sigma$, it seems simple...apparently

laura123 said:
yes $\chi\sigma$, it seems simple...apparently

May be it seems... but in fact it is hard!... the second order ODE...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} + y\ \frac{x^{3}}{1+x^{3}}\ (1)$

... is linear homogeneous and that means that the solution is of the form...

$\displaystyle y(x) = c_{1}\ u(x) + c_{2}\ v(x)\ (2)$

... where u(*) and v(*) are independent solutions of (1). An asyntotic solution for x>>1 of course is...

$\displaystyle y(x) \sim c_{1}\ \cos x + c_{2}\ \sin x\ (3)$

... but what what does it happen for more small values of x?... one attempt to approximate the solution is to suppose that y(x) is analytic in x=0, so that is...

$\displaystyle y(x)= a_{0} + a_{1}\ x + a_{2}\ x^{2} + ...\ (4)$

For semplicity we suppose also that is $y(0)= 1 \implies a_{0}=1$ and $y^{\ '}(0)=0 \implies a_{1}=0$ so that the problem is to compute the succesive derivatives. From (1) we derive directly...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} = - y\ \frac{x^{3}}{1+x^{3}} = 0\ \text{in}\ x=0\ (5)$

Proceeding from (5) we have...

$\displaystyle y^{(3)} = - 3\ y\ \frac{x^{2}}{(1+x^{3})^{2}} - y^{\ '}\ \frac{x^{3}}{1+x^{3}}= 0\ \text{in}\ x=0\ (6) $

$\displaystyle y^{(4)} = y\ \frac{12\ x^{2} - 6\ x}{(1+x^{3})^{3}} - y^{\ '}\ \frac{6\ x^{2}}{(1+x^{3})^{2}} - y^{\ ''}\ \frac{x^{3}}{1+x^{3}} = 0\ \text{in}\ x=0\ (7) $

$\displaystyle y^{(5)} = - 6\ y\ \frac{14\ x^4 - 8\ x^{3} - 4\ x + 1}{(1 + x^{3})^{4}} + ... = -6\ \text{in}\ x=0\ (7)$

If we stop now the approximate solution near x=0 is...

$\displaystyle y(x) \sim 1 - \frac{x^{5}}{20}\ (8)$

If more precision is requested we can go ahead but the task is very inconfortable... at least for me (Worried)... A numerical solution is clearly preferable...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks $\chi\ \sigma$, in effect this equation is very hard to solve... I think that is impossible to find an analytic solution.. The numerical solution seems to be the only way at moment...

Last edited:

Related to Help with Solving Indefinite Integral

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the original function when only its derivative is known.

How do I solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to use the rules of integration, such as the power rule, integration by parts, and substitution. These rules allow you to manipulate the function in order to find the antiderivative.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. In other words, a definite integral represents the area under a curve between two specific points, while an indefinite integral represents the family of functions that have a given derivative.

Can I use a calculator to solve indefinite integrals?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs available that can help you solve indefinite integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and rules of integration in order to verify the accuracy of the results.

Why is it important to learn how to solve indefinite integrals?

Knowing how to solve indefinite integrals is important because it allows you to find the original function from its derivative. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering, as it helps to solve various problems and model real-world situations.