Help with smooth particles hydrodynamics

In summary, when using the formulas for pressure, viscosity, and tension in SPH simulation, you need to apply them to the unit vector between the current particle and the neighbor particle to get the force vector.
spider853
Hi, I've started to write a simulator for SPH, and I'm fallowing a paper on SPH simulation,
The problem is that in that paper they show the formulas for computing force but they don't tell you on what vector do you need to apply this force.

So here are the formulas for pressure, viscosity and tension:
2yv70rd.jpg

kdn19s.jpg

2jfm9gh.jpg

as you can see they return scalars. but I need vectors (2D or 3D) so I can apply it to the acceleration.
I suppose they are related to unit vector between the current particle and the neighbor particle (^rij)
but not sure if I need to sum or scale it...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance!Yes, the force vector is related to the unit vector between the current particle and the neighbor particle (^rij). In order to calculate the force vector, you should scale the scalar pressure, viscosity, and tension values with the unit vector. Then, you can sum the scaled vectors to get the total force vector.

Related to Help with smooth particles hydrodynamics

1. What is Smooth Particles Hydrodynamics (SPH)?

Smooth Particles Hydrodynamics (SPH) is a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) technique used to simulate the behavior of fluids. It is a meshless and Lagrangian method, meaning it does not require a fixed grid and tracks the movement of individual fluid particles. It is commonly used in simulations of astrophysical phenomena, such as galaxy formation, and in engineering applications, such as fluid flow around ships or aircraft.

2. How does SPH differ from other CFD methods?

SPH differs from other CFD methods, such as finite difference or finite volume methods, in that it uses particles to represent the fluid rather than a fixed grid. This allows for a more accurate representation of complex flow patterns and the ability to model free surfaces and multi-phase fluids. Additionally, SPH is a Lagrangian method, which means it follows the movement of individual particles rather than fixed points in the fluid.

3. What are the advantages of using SPH?

One of the main advantages of using SPH is its ability to handle large deformations and complex flow patterns without the need for remeshing. It is also a meshless method, which means it can easily handle moving boundaries and free surfaces. Additionally, SPH is computationally efficient and can be parallelized for faster simulations.

4. What are the limitations of SPH?

One of the main limitations of SPH is its difficulty in accurately modeling boundary layers and shear flows. This is due to the lack of a fixed grid and the need for a sufficient number of particles to capture these flow features. In addition, SPH may struggle with simulating certain types of turbulence and compressible flows.

5. How is SPH used in practical applications?

SPH has been used in a variety of practical applications, including simulations of astrophysical phenomena, such as galaxy formation and evolution. It is also commonly used in engineering applications, such as ship and aircraft design, fluid flow analysis in pipelines and pumps, and even in the entertainment industry for realistic water and fluid effects in movies and video games.