Centripetal Force for non point particle

In summary, the force needed to keep a point particle in circular motion is F = mv2/r. For an irregular shaped object with constant surface density, the force needed at the base of the object can be calculated by summing the incremental forces on each constituent particle, or by integrating dm*v2/r over the object. This is because momentum and force are additive quantities. However, the total force may be less than the sum of the incremental forces due to the non-parallel nature of the forces. A more accurate calculation would require a derivation of centripetal force for the general case.
Electric to be
Say there is a point particle attached to a rope of radius r. It spins with angular velocity w. As a result, the force needed to keep this particle in circular motion is:

F = mv2/r

However, now say I have some irregular shaped object, with say some constant surface density for simplicity. It is also attached to a rope of radius r and spins with angular velocity w.

My question, is the force needed for the rope to exert at the base of the object the area integral of dm*v2/r = dm w2*r over the object? If this is true, what is the intuition? Why can I sum up the forces needed for all the constituent particles and say that is the force applied by the rope at the base of the object?

Another thought in my head was that you can think of translational forces as being applied directly to the center of mass of the object. Does the math somehow work out that the force necessary is F = mv2/r, where m is the total mass, and r is the center of mass?

A third possible answer I assume, would be none of the above and would stem from an actual derivation of centripetal force for the general case, and not just for a point particle. I suspect it may be this, since I've never actually derived the force for a point particle personally.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric to be said:
My question, is the force needed for the rope to exert at the base of the object the area integral of dm*v2/r = dm w2*r over the object?
Almost. Remember that force is a vector. The centripetal force for a piece on the leading edge of the object and the centripetal force for a piece on the trailing edge of the object are not parallel. The magnitude of the total force will be less than the sum of the magnitudes of the incremental forces.

If this is true, what is the intuition? Why can I sum up the forces needed for all the constituent particles and say that is the force applied by the rope at the base of the object?
Momentum and force are additive quantities. The rate of change of momentum of the object is the sum of the rates of change of momentum of its pieces. The total force required to produce this total rate of change follows from that.

Related to Centripetal Force for non point particle

1. What is centripetal force for non point particles?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is necessary for an object to change its direction and velocity in circular motion.

2. How is the centripetal force calculated for non point particles?

The formula for calculating centripetal force for non point particles is Fc = m*v^2 / r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. Is centripetal force the same as centrifugal force?

No, centripetal force and centrifugal force are not the same. Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object in circular motion, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to be acting on an object in circular motion, but is actually just the inertia of the object.

4. Can centripetal force be greater than gravity?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than gravity. This occurs in cases where an object is in circular motion and the centripetal force is provided by a force other than gravity, such as tension in a string or friction on a surface.

5. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object in circular motion. However, it is necessary for the object to maintain its constant speed and change direction in the circular path. The speed of an object in circular motion is determined by its velocity and the radius of the circular path.