Help with simplifying a 2nd order pde

In summary, the equation becomes:q(e)R^\prime(s) = 4+r(s)\left[\frac{q^\prime(e)}{e}+q^{\prime\prime}(e)\right]
lohanlotter
I was given the equation
dp/ds = 4 + 1/e*d/de(e*dp/de)

The derivatives in the equation are partial derivatives

the values of p,s,e are dimensionless numbers.

I am to assume that the solution is separable and then use finite difference method to solve for p, the finite difference method is not a problem. This is where i am having problems. What will the equation be after the assumption is made and the equation is simplified.

I have attempted the question:

I equated the right hand side = 0:

4 + 1/e*d/de(e*dp/de) = 0

and made the partial derivatives total derivatives and then applied the chain rule:

4 + 1/e*dp/de + d/de(dp/de). Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
lohanlotter said:
I was given the equation
dp/ds = 4 + 1/e*d/de(e*dp/de)

The derivatives in the equation are partial derivatives

the values of p,s,e are dimensionless numbers.

I am to assume that the solution is separable and then use finite difference method to solve for p, the finite difference method is not a problem. This is where i am having problems. What will the equation be after the assumption is made and the equation is simplified.

I have attempted the question:

I equated the right hand side = 0:

4 + 1/e*d/de(e*dp/de) = 0

and made the partial derivatives total derivatives and then applied the chain rule:

4 + 1/e*dp/de + d/de(dp/de). Is this correct?
I'm not sure why you have set the right hand side to zero. If you have a separable solution, this will not be the case for non-trivial solutions. The method of separation of variables should be applied as follows.

Let [itex]p(e,s) = q(e)r(s)[/itex]. Then we have

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial s}q(e)r(s) = 4 + \frac{1}{e}\frac{\partial}{\partial e}\left(e\frac{\partial}{\partial e} q(e)r(s)\right)\;.[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

I have attempted it again:

using the equation given i ended up with:

q*dr/ds = 4 + r(1/e*dq/de+d/de(dq/de))

what happens to the 4 then??

lohanlotter said:
I have attempted it again:

using the equation given i ended up with:

q*dr/ds = 4 + r(1/e*dq/de+d/de(dq/de))

what happens to the 4 then??
Let's re-write it so that we can see what's happening more clearly:

[tex]q(e)r^\prime(s) = 4 + r(s)\left[\frac{q^\prime(e)}{e} + q^{\prime\prime}(e)\right][/tex]

This is still a separable equation, the fact that you have an additional constant term doesn't matter. If you're struggling to see it, let [itex]R(s) = 4+r(s)[/itex]. Then [itex]R^\prime(s) = r^\prime(s)[/itex] leading to

[tex]q(e)R^\prime(s) = R(s)\left[\frac{q^\prime(e)}{e} + q^{\prime\prime}(e)\right][/tex]

Can you now continue?

Yes thank you very much

Related to Help with simplifying a 2nd order pde

What is a 2nd order PDE?

A 2nd order PDE, or second-order partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to two or more independent variables.

Why is simplifying a 2nd order PDE important?

Simplifying a 2nd order PDE is important because it allows for easier analysis and solution of the equation. It reduces the complexity of the equation and makes it more manageable to work with.

What are some common techniques for simplifying a 2nd order PDE?

Some common techniques for simplifying a 2nd order PDE include the method of characteristics, separation of variables, and change of variables. These methods involve manipulating the equation to eliminate certain terms or variables.

How does simplifying a 2nd order PDE affect its solution?

Simplifying a 2nd order PDE can greatly impact its solution. It can make the equation easier to solve and may even lead to a closed-form solution. However, in some cases, simplification may also result in the loss of some information or accuracy in the solution.

Are there any limitations to simplifying a 2nd order PDE?

Yes, there are limitations to simplifying a 2nd order PDE. Some equations may not be able to be simplified, and attempting to do so may result in a loss of important information. Additionally, simplifying too much may lead to an oversimplified solution that is not accurate. It is important to carefully consider the effects of simplification before applying any techniques.