Help with robot driveline design

In summary, the speaker is currently working on a lawn mower robot project and needs help with motor selection and mounting. They are considering using 2 motors in the back and a free moving wheel in the front, or 4 wheel drive. The goal is for the robot to have a speed of 1 foot/second and weigh around 20 lbs or less. They have no previous experience building a mechanical system and made a mistake in their first attempt, causing two of the motors to seize. They are now looking for a new approach to mounting the wheels/motors and considering purchasing new motors. They are also seeking recommendations for a suitable motor choice that is 12v and low cost. They are unsure whether a 2 wheel or
sbonkosk
Im currently working on a project for a lawn mower robot and need some help with motor selection and mounting of the motors.

We're not sure to go about using 2 motors out back and a free moving wheel up front, or 4 wheel drive. We estimate the robot to be about ~20 lbs or less, and our goal is 1 foot/second speed.

We have no experience building a mechanical system like this so we messed up the first time around. We built a frame, mounted the motor to the frame, and then the hub to the motor shaft which connected to the wheel. That was it. This ran for a little bit but then 2 of the motors seized because of the weight being supported by only the motor shaft.

So we're trying to figure a new approach to actually mounting the wheels/motors so that the weight won't destroy the motors, and also looking into possibly new motors because we're returning the 2 that are currently still working.

These were our original 4 motors

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-B231.html

We're thinking of now getting 4 of these instead

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1107

Can somebody recommend a better motor choice for our application? 12v, 1ft/second speed, going through grass, robot weight ~20 lbs or less, low cost.

Should we go with a 2 wheel or 4 wheel design? Would either be fine?

Also, we're now thinking of mounting the motors like so:

http://yfrog.com/f/evimag0386aj/

Will this avoid the weight of the robot being forced on the motor shaft?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are there any other considerations we should be aware of when mounting the motors?Thanks for your help!

Related to Help with robot driveline design

1. How do I determine the appropriate motor size for my robot?

The motor size for a robot depends on several factors, including the weight of the robot, the type of terrain it will be navigating, and the desired speed and torque. It is important to calculate the required torque for your robot's driveline and choose a motor that can provide at least that amount of torque.

2. What is the best type of drivetrain for a robot?

The best type of drivetrain for a robot depends on its intended use. For example, a four-wheel drive system may be better for navigating rough terrain, while a two-wheel drive system may be more suitable for a smoother surface. Consider the specific needs and capabilities of your robot when choosing a drivetrain.

3. How do I ensure my robot's driveline is durable and reliable?

To ensure durability and reliability, it is important to use high-quality components in your driveline, such as motors, gears, and bearings. Regular maintenance and testing can also help identify any potential issues and prevent them from causing problems in the future.

4. Can I use different types of motors in my robot's driveline?

Yes, it is possible to use different types of motors in a robot's driveline. However, it is important to consider the compatibility of the motors and how they will work together. For example, using a stepper motor and a DC motor in the same driveline may require additional components to ensure they work together smoothly.

5. How do I calculate the gear ratio for my robot's driveline?

The gear ratio for a robot's driveline can be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear (such as a wheel) by the number of teeth on the driving gear (such as a motor). The resulting ratio will determine the speed and torque output of the driveline. It is important to choose a gear ratio that meets the specific needs of your robot.