Help with Probability question.

• Thread starter Kiziaru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring and is expressed as a number between 0 and 1. To calculate probability, the total number of outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes must be determined. There are three main types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. It is used in various fields and can help make informed decisions and predictions. To improve understanding, one can practice solving problems and familiarize themselves with key concepts and formulas, as well as reading books or taking online courses on the subject.
Kiziaru
So I've been trying to do probability problems to take the P/1 Exam, and I've come across a problem that I don't quite understand.

Problem:An insurance company estimates that 40% of policyholders who have only an auto policy
will renew next year and 60% of policyholders who have only a homeowners policy will
renew next year. The company estimates that 80% of policyholders who have both an
auto and a homeowners policy will renew at least one of those policies next year.
Company records show that 65% of policyholders have an auto policy, 50% of
policyholders have a homeowners policy, and 15% of policyholders have both an auto
and a homeowners policy. Using the company’s estimates, calculate the percentage of
policyholders that will renew at least one policy next year.Attempt at solution:

Pr(A ∩ H(compliment)) = Pr(A - H) = Pr(A) - Pr(H)

Pr(A) = .65
Pr(H) = .50

.65 - .50 = .15

However, the solution claims that Pr(A - H) = Pr(A-(A ∩ H)) = .50. How is that possible? How did they derive that?

Edit: Disregard, I understand it now. I had to apply the Pr(A U B) = Pr(A) + Pr(B) - Pr(A ∩ B) rule.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the solution is actually .65 + .50 - .15 = 1.00. This means that 100% of policyholders will renew at least one policy next year. This makes sense because the problem states that 80% of policyholders with both policies will renew at least one, and since 15% have both policies, that accounts for 80% of the total policyholders. The remaining 20% would be the policyholders with only one policy, and the problem states that 40% of those with only an auto policy will renew, and 60% of those with only a homeowners policy will renew. So .40(.35) + .60(.50) = .14 + .30 = .44. .44 + .80 = 1.00.

Great job on figuring out the solution! The key to understanding this problem is to remember that the probabilities of A and H are not mutually exclusive. In other words, there are policyholders who have both an auto and homeowners policy, so they would be counted in both A and H. This is why we have to subtract the probability of A ∩ H from the sum of Pr(A) and Pr(H). Keep up the good work with your probability problems!

Related to Help with Probability question.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that a certain event will occur. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you need to determine the total number of outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes. The probability is then calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of outcomes.

3. What are the different types of probability?

The three main types of probability are theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations, experimental probability is based on actual experiments or data, and subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

4. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many different fields, such as science, finance, and statistics. It is used to make predictions and informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain events occurring.

5. How can I improve my understanding of probability?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of probability is to practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with the key concepts and formulas. You can also read books or take online courses on probability to deepen your knowledge on the subject.