A question related to cardinality and probability

In summary: First of all the statement itself. I think it has to be stated as$$\mathbb{E}(A \cap I_2) \geq \mathbb{E}(B \cap I_2)?$$Second, is there no information about $A$ and $B$ at all? Perhaps, something like $A \subset I$ and $B \subset I$?
baiyang11
Dear all,

I have a question attached related to both probability and cardinality. Let me know if my formulation of the problem is non-rigorous or confusing. Any proof or suggestions are appreciated.Thank you all.
The question follows.Consider a set \(I\) consists of \(N\) incidents.
\[I=\{i_{1},i_{2},...,i_{k},...i_{N}\}\]
Each incident has a probability to happen, i.e. incident \(i_{k}\) happens with the probability \(r_{k}\). Without loss of generality, we assume \(r_{1}\geq r_{2}\geq ... \geq r_{k}\geq ... \geq r_{N}\)
Given a constant \(n<N\), we can have set \(I_{1}=\{i_{1},i_{2},...,i_{n}\}\). Apparently, \(|I_{1}|=n\) and \(I_{1}\subset I\).
Define a mapping \(I\to S\) with \(S=\{s_{1},s_{2},...,s_{k},...s_{N}\}\) subject to
\[
s_{k} = \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc}
1 &\mbox{ (Pr=$r_{k}$)} \\
0 &\mbox{ (Pr=$1-r_{k}$)} \\
\end{array} \right.
\]
Pick out the incidents with correspond \(s\) being 1 to form the set \(I_{2}\) , i.e.
\[I_{2}=\{i_{m_{1}},i_{m_{2}},...,i_{m_{M}}\} \quad \mbox{and} \quad s_{m_{k}}=1 \quad k=1,2,...,M \]
Apparently, \(|I_{2}|=M\) and \(I_{2}\subset I\). Note that there could be \(I_{2}\ne I_{1}\) and \(|I_{2}| \ne |I_{1}|\).

The question is,
If we have two set \(A\) and \(B\) with \(|A|=|B|=n\) and assume
\[ |A \cap I_{1}| \geq |B \cap I_{1}| \]
Is the following statement true?
\[ E(|A \cap I_{2}|) \geq E(|B \cap I_{2}|) \]
where \(E\) means expected value.
If this is true, how to prove it? If not, how to prove it’s not true?

Physics news on Phys.org
I already looked a couple of times at this question and it still confuses me.
First of all the statement itself. I think it has to be stated as
$$\mathbb{E}(A \cap I_2) \geq \mathbb{E}(B \cap I_2)?$$

Second, is there no information about $A$ en $B$ at all? Perhaps, something like $A \subset I$ and $B \subset I$?

Siron said:
I already looked a couple of times at this question and it still confuses me.
First of all the statement itself. I think it has to be stated as
$$\mathbb{E}(A \cap I_2) \geq \mathbb{E}(B \cap I_2)?$$

Second, is there no information about $A$ en $B$ at all? Perhaps, something like $A \subset I$ and $B \subset I$?

Thank you for reply!
(1) Yes. Here the 'E' character means expected value. I just didn't know how to make it like your character when I wrote this question. Now I know, but I can't edit it.
(2) Yes. $A \subset I$ and $B \subset I$.
Since I can't edit the original post, let me repost the question here.

Consider a set $I$ consists of $N$ incidents.
$I=\{i_{1},i_{2},...,i_{k},...i_{N}\}$
Each incident has a probability to happen, i.e. incident $i_{k}$ happens with the probability $r_{k}$. Without loss of generality, we assume $r_{1}\geq r_{2}\geq ... \geq r_{k}\geq ... \geq r_{N}$
Given a constant $n<N$, we can have set $I_{1}=\{i_{1},i_{2},...,i_{n}\}$. Apparently, $|I_{1}|=n$ and $I_{1}\subset I$.
Define a mapping $I\to S$ with $S=\{s_{1},s_{2},...,s_{k},...s_{N}\}$
subject to
$s_{k} = \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc}
1 &\mbox{ (Pr=$r_{k}$)} \\
0 &\mbox{ (Pr=$1-r_{k}$)} \\
\end{array} \right.$
Pick out the incidents with correspond $s$ being 1 to form the set $I_{2}$ , i.e.

$I_{2}=\{i_{m_{1}},i_{m_{2}},...,i_{m_{M}}\} \quad \mbox{and} \quad s_{m_{k}}=1 \quad k=1,2,...,M$

Apparently, $|I_{2}|=M$ and $I_{2}\subset I$. Note that there could be $I_{2}\ne I_{1}$ and $|I_{2}| \ne |I_{1}|$.

The question is,
If we have two set $A$ and $B$ satisfying the following three assumptions:

(1)$A\subset I$ and $B\subset I$

(2)$|A|=|B|=n$

(3)$|A \cap I_{1}| \geq |B \cap I_{1}|$

Is the following statement true?

$\mathbb{E}(A \cap I_2) \geq \mathbb{E}(B \cap I_2)$

where $\mathbb{E}$ means expected value.
If this is true, how to prove it? If not, how to prove it’s not true?

Last edited:

Related to A question related to cardinality and probability

1. What is cardinality?

Cardinality refers to the number of elements or items in a set. It is often denoted by the symbol "n".

2. How is cardinality related to probability?

Cardinality is related to probability because it helps determine the number of possible outcomes in a sample space, which is essential in calculating probabilities.

3. What is the difference between cardinality and probability?

Cardinality is a measure of the size of a set, while probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring within that set.

4. How is cardinality used in data analysis and statistics?

Cardinality is used in data analysis and statistics to determine the size of a dataset, to understand the relationships between different sets, and to calculate probabilities and other statistical measures.

5. Can cardinality affect the accuracy of statistical analysis?

Yes, cardinality can affect the accuracy of statistical analysis as it can impact the sample size, which in turn affects the precision and confidence of the results obtained. It is important to consider the cardinality of a dataset when conducting statistical analysis.