Help with Physics: Calculating Resistor Values

• Thread starter TonyThaGreat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phisics
In summary, two resistors are connected in series to create a total resistance. Ohm's law is an algebraic relationship between current, voltage, and resistance. It is considered a formulation in physics.
TonyThaGreat
Hey guy! I am new here and I am seeking some help!
so i just started a Electric Engineering course at grimsby collage and, i thought i had some science knowlage ohms and that. you know? until they gave me this.

Calculating Resistor Values.
Two Resistors are connected in series with values of 220ohm & 390ohm

also

Two Resistors are connected in series with values of 1k2ohm & 2k2ohm

im not askin u to tell me the answer. just how grasp and work out the equasion.

i kinda just jumped in at the deep end without any know-how. one year a plumber, next an engineer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you expect to really receive some help, then show your work. If you don't know how to calculate the total resistance then take a look http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor" , though your textbook (if you have one) should have all the information since this is a basic question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two resistors in series have the same current through them.

So using ohms law (V = iR) [tex]V_{total} = iR_1 + iR_2 = i(R_1+R_2)[/tex]

So as you can see an equivalent resistor would just the from the addition of the two resistors.

Dumb question, but is Ohm's law considered a formulation in algebra, physics, etc?
Good info on this article, and I have been reading through this forum trying to absorb some info for my own school start, but I am 15-years out of high school and I don't remember alot/any of this.

MacLaddy said:
Dumb question, but is Ohm's law considered a formulation in algebra, physics, etc?
Good info on this article, and I have been reading through this forum trying to absorb some info for my own school start, but I am 15-years out of high school and I don't remember alot/any of this.

Welcome to the PF. Not really a dumb question, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you are asking. Ohm's law is just an algebraic relationship between current, voltage and resistance (or more generally impedance, when you get to complex number representations). There are reasons in physics behind the algebra, however. Hope that helps some...

ok, thanks guys i still don't fully undersatand but i kinda get the equasion. please correct me if I am wrong.
so (V = iR) so V is voltage? I - currrent, and R is resistance.
(V=iR) Vtotal = iR1 + iR2 = i(R1 + R2)
so ir1,2 are the phases the currents split off into ect.
just thinking out loud.. V x I = R. (multipling 2 to find the 3rd also works?)
also I've been reading up on this, starting to make sense.
but i still don't know what ohms law is... anyone have an link to some info
would be great!

cheers
Tony :)

TonyThaGreat said:
ok, thanks guys i still don't fully undersatand but i kinda get the equasion. please correct me if I am wrong.
so (V = iR) so V is voltage? I - currrent, and R is resistance.
(V=iR) Vtotal = iR1 + iR2 = i(R1 + R2)
so ir1,2 are the phases the currents split off into ect.
just thinking out loud.. V x I = R. (multipling 2 to find the 3rd also works?)
also I've been reading up on this, starting to make sense.
but i still don't know what ohms law is... anyone have an link to some info
would be great!

cheers
Tony :)

Here's an intro link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohms_law

You should also read up on Series and Parallel connections of resistors, to better understand how the currents divide, and how the voltages add up.

Related to Help with Physics: Calculating Resistor Values

1. How do I calculate the resistance value of a resistor?

To calculate the resistance value of a resistor, you will need to know the current flowing through the resistor and the voltage across it. Using Ohm's Law (V = IR), you can rearrange the equation to solve for the resistance (R = V/I). Make sure to use consistent units (such as volts and amps) when plugging in your values.

2. What is the color coding system for resistors?

The color coding system for resistors is used to indicate the resistance value, tolerance, and sometimes the temperature coefficient of a resistor. The standard color code uses bands of different colors to represent different numbers between 0-9. Consult a color code chart to determine the value of each color band.

3. What is the tolerance of a resistor?

The tolerance of a resistor refers to the acceptable range of values that the resistance can deviate from the stated value. This is usually represented by a percentage. For example, a resistor with a 10% tolerance means that the actual resistance could be 10% higher or lower than the stated value.

4. How do I determine the wattage rating for a resistor?

The wattage rating for a resistor indicates the maximum amount of power that it can safely handle. To determine the wattage rating, you can use the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage, and I is current. Make sure to choose a resistor with a wattage rating that is equal to or greater than the calculated value.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating resistor values?

Some common mistakes to avoid when calculating resistor values include using the wrong units, misinterpreting the color code, and not taking into account the tolerance. It is also important to double-check your calculations and use the correct formula for the specific problem you are trying to solve.