Finding resistance of single resistor

In summary, two resistors connected in parallel result in a total resistance of 6.0 ohms. If one resistor is 10 ohms, the value of the other resistor can be solved using the equation 1/RT= 1/R1+1/R2. By algebraic manipulation, the value of the other resistor is 15 ohms.
gungo

Homework Statement

Two resistors are connected in parallel. The total resistance of the combination is 6.0 ohms. If one of the resistors is 10 ohms, what is the value of the other?

Homework Equations

1/RT= 1/R1+1/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 15 just by doing trial and error, and I'm pretty sure it's the right answer but how would you solve this using the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
gungo said:
I got 15 just by doing trial and error, and I'm pretty sure it's the right answer but how would you solve this using the equation?
Via algebra, of course. What have you tried?

Likes gungo
gneill said:
Via algebra, of course. What have you tried?
Whoops I forgot about using algebra. I got it, thanks!

Related to Finding resistance of single resistor

1. What is resistance and why is it important to measure?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electric current. It is important to measure because it helps us determine the efficiency and safety of a circuit and can also provide useful information about the material properties of a component.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a single resistor?

The resistance of a single resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In equation form, this is written as R = V/I.

3. What are the units of resistance?

The standard unit of resistance is the ohm (Ω). However, in some cases, other units such as kilohms (kΩ) or megohms (MΩ) may be used.

4. How do I measure the resistance of a single resistor?

The most common way to measure the resistance of a single resistor is by using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the ohm setting and then connect the probes to the ends of the resistor. The multimeter will display the resistance value in ohms.

5. How does temperature affect the resistance of a single resistor?

Temperature can affect the resistance of a single resistor. In most cases, as the temperature increases, the resistance also increases. This is due to the fact that heat causes the atoms in the material to vibrate more, which can impede the flow of electric current.