Help With Partial Differentiation & Integration

In summary, Tom explains that differentiation is the opposite of integration and that when doing implicit differentiation you should get 6x\frac{dx}{dt} (minor error). He then goes on to say that in his problem, p'\left(x\right) is not \frac{dp\left(x\right)}{dt} as he thought, but \frac{dp\left(x\right)}{dx}.
tshafer
I know I should know this... it looks so ridiculously easy. In the course of getting d'Alembert's wave equation solution, we get the following equation:

[tex]2cp'\left(x\right)=cf'\left(x\right)+g\left(x\right)[/tex]

The primes are derivatives wrt t. Then we re-order the equation and "integrate the relation" to get an expression for p:

[tex]p\left(\xi\right)=\frac{1}{2}f\left(\xi\right)+\frac{1}{2c}\int^{\xi}_{0}g\left(s\right)ds[/tex]

I have to be missing something very, very simple. How can I differentiate [tex]p\left(x\right)[/tex] wrt [tex]t[/tex] then integrate wrt something (x, I suppose, in this case) and recover the original function p? Or am I NOT recovering it... just something new named [tex]p\left(\xi\right)[/tex]? Thanks for the help!

Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tom! :smile:

[tex]\int^{\xi}_{0}f'(x)dx\ =\ \left[f(x)\right]^{\xi}_{0}\ =\ f(\xi)\ -\ f(0)[/tex] :smile:

Alright, cool. Why is that true, though? If I have f(x) = 3x^2, differentiate wrt t and integrate wrt x from 0 to xi I don't think I will get 3(xi)^2?

Tom

f'(x) = 6x.

[tex]\int^{\xi}_{0} 6x dx\ =\ [3x^2]^{\xi}_{0}\ =\ 3\xi^2[/tex] :smile:

Integration is the opposite of differentiation …

that's how it works!​

The fancy name of what tiny-tim show you is "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus". You may wish to read up more about it :)

Yes... when it was covered waaaay back in Calc I, it was something more like:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int^{x}_{a}f\left(t\right)dt=f\left(x\right)-f\left(a\right)[/tex].

I was just concerned with differentiating wrt t AND integrating wrt x:
[tex]\int^{\xi}_{0}\frac{df\left(x\right)}{dt}dx[/tex]

I felt like I had variables flying everywhere, hehe. Thanks!

Tom

Last edited:
tshafer said:
Yes... when it was covered waaaay back in Calc I, it was something more like:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int^{x}_{a}f\left(t\right)dt=f\left(x\right)-f\left(a\right)[/tex].

I was just concerned with differentiating wrt t AND integrating wrt x:
[tex]\int^{\xi}_{0}\frac{df\left(x\right)}{dt}dx[/tex]

I felt like I had variables flying everywhere, hehe. Thanks!

Tom

Your first formula is incorrect I believe. You should only be left with f(x) and I believe you want [tex] \frac{d}{dx} [/tex] instead of [tex] \frac{d}{dt} [/tex]. The "general" version of this

Let

[tex] F(x) = \int_{g(x)}^{h(x)} f(t) dt [/tex]

Then

[tex] F'(x) = f(h(x)) h'(x) - f(g(x)) g'(x) [/tex]

alright... thanks.

now, here's the thing... this all makes sense, except in my problem.

I have [tex]f(x) = 3x^{2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{df}{dt}=f'\left(x\right) = 6x\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\xi}_{0}6x\frac{dx}{dt}dx[/tex] = ??

or am I waaay confused?

Last edited:
If you are doing implicit differentiation you should get [tex] 6x \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] (minor error).

My bad, just in a hurry. Still... [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}dx[/tex]??

Ok, I am an idiot... these aren't t-derivatives, I guess.

[tex]u\left(x,t\right)=p\left(x+ct\right)+q\left(x-ct\right)=p\left(\xi\right)+q\left(\eta\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\right|_{t=0}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial \xi}\right|_{t=0}\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}\right|_{t=0} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial \eta}\right|_{t=0}\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial t}\right|_{t=0}[/tex]

but [tex]\xi=\left(x+ct\right)\right|_{t=0}=x[/tex], same for [tex]\eta[/tex]. So...

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\right|_{t=0}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}\right|_{t=0} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial t}\right|_{t=0}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\cdot c + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\cdot \left(-c\right)[/tex]

So [tex]p'\left(x\right)=\frac{dp}{dx}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{dp\left(x\right)}{dt}[/tex].

Does that seem correct?
Tom

tshafer said:
Alright, cool. Why is that true, though? If I have f(x) = 3x^2, differentiate wrt t and integrate wrt x from 0 to xi I don't think I will get 3(xi)^2?

Tom
Surely that's not what you meant! If you differentiate f(x) wrt t, you get 0. Integrating that with respect to x still gives 0.

Exactly... yet my professor was adamant. I'm sure now that he didn't understand my question.

tshafer said:
alright... thanks.

now, here's the thing... this all makes sense, except in my problem.

I have [tex]f(x) = 3x^{2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{df}{dt}=f'\left(x\right) = 6x\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\xi}_{0}6x\frac{dx}{dt}dx[/tex] = ??

or am I waaay confused?
Your second statement is incorrect. It should be
[tex]\int^{t_i}_0 6x \frac{dx}{dt}dt= \int^{x_i}_0 6x dx= 3x_i^2[/itex]
Where [itex]x_i= x(t_i)[/itex]

right... this is why i was so confused. i thought my prof was saying to differentiate wrt t, then integrate wrt x, not t.

Related to Help With Partial Differentiation & Integration

What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is used in multivariable calculus to analyze how a function changes in relation to different variables.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is the reverse process of differentiation and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do I find partial derivatives?

To find the partial derivatives of a function, you will need to use the partial differentiation technique. This involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to each variable, treating all other variables as constants. The result will be a set of partial derivatives, each corresponding to a different variable in the function.

What is the chain rule in partial differentiation?

The chain rule in partial differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function with multiple variables. It states that the derivative of the composite function is equal to the product of the partial derivatives of each individual function with respect to the corresponding variable.

How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. Integration is used to find the original function from its derivative, while differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function. They are both fundamental concepts in calculus and are closely related to each other.