Help with partial derivative electric field

In summary, we found the on-axis potential of a ring of radius R and Charge Q to be: V=(1/4pi*Epsilon naught) * (Q/sqrt(z^2 + R^2))
krugertown
We found on-axis potential of a ring of radius R and Charge Q to be:
V=(1/4pi*Epsilon naught) * (Q/sqrt(z^2 + R^2))

Find on axis electric field of ring of charge

I know i just derive that equation, but am getting stuck.

i got d/dz((1/4pi*Epsilon naught) * (Q/sqrt(z^2 + R^2))

Any ideas how i do that partial derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule. d/dz(f(z)^(-1/2))=(-1/2)*(f(z)^(-3/2))*d/dz(f(z)). Same as always.

krugertown said:
We found on-axis potential of a ring of radius R and Charge Q to be:
V=(1/4pi*Epsilon naught) * (Q/sqrt(z^2 + R^2))

Find on axis electric field of ring of charge

I know i just derive that equation, but am getting stuck.

i got d/dz((1/4pi*Epsilon naught) * (Q/sqrt(z^2 + R^2))

Any ideas how i do that partial derivative?
If I understand your function, it's a function of z alone, so you don't need to take a partial derivative.

d/dz((1/4pi*Epsilon naught) * (Q/sqrt(z^2 + R^2))
= Q*(1/4pi*Epsilon naught) *d/dz[ z^2 + R^2]^(-1/2)

Now, just use the chain rule to differential (z^2 + R^2)^(-1/2)

I'm assuming that Q, R, and [tex]\epsilon[/tex]0 are constants.

Also, it's not clear whether the expression with [tex]\epsilon_{0} [/tex] is [tex]\frac{1}{4pi * \epsilon_{0}}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{4pi} \epsilon_{0}[/tex]. The use of parentheses will make it clear.

so z becomes (-1/2)*(f(z)^(-3/2))*d/dz(f(z))? i understand that but how does that then become:

E=(Q/(4pi*Epsilon naught)) (zQ/(z^2 + R^2)^3/2?

thanks!

In your best interests, I'm not going to tell you. Work it out. What do you get? Show us how you did it if you still have questions. BTW I think E is the negative of the gradient of the potential.

krugertown said:
so z becomes (-1/2)*(f(z)^(-3/2))*d/dz(f(z))? i understand that but how does that then become:

E=(Q/(4pi*Epsilon naught)) (zQ/(z^2 + R^2)^3/2?

thanks!

No, z doesn't become what you have above; that's dV/dz. Also, you started with V as a function of z, so you should end up with dV/dz, not E.

Mark44 said:
No, z doesn't become what you have above; that's dV/dz. Also, you started with V as a function of z, so you should end up with dV/dz, not E.

Hi Mark44, It's actually a physics problem. V is voltage and E is electric field. The gradient of V is E (up to a sign). And it is a partial derivative. The d/dx and d/dy parts are zero because V is cylindrically symmetric and krugertown is working on the z-axis.

My mistake. I was thinking that E was EMF.

Related to Help with partial derivative electric field

1. What is a partial derivative of electric field?

A partial derivative of electric field is a mathematical concept used in physics to calculate how the electric field changes with respect to a specific variable, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative of electric field calculated?

To calculate a partial derivative of electric field, you need to take the derivative of the electric field function with respect to the specific variable, while treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using mathematical rules for differentiation.

3. What is the importance of partial derivative of electric field in physics?

The partial derivative of electric field is important in physics because it allows for the calculation of the electric field at a particular point in space, taking into account the effects of different variables. It also helps to understand how the electric field changes in response to changes in different parameters.

4. Can a partial derivative of electric field be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative of electric field can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is decreasing in magnitude with respect to the specific variable being considered.

5. Are there any real-life applications of partial derivative of electric field?

Yes, partial derivatives of electric field are used in various real-life applications such as in the design of electronic circuits, understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and analyzing the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.