Help with Operators written as components.

In summary, the operator O can be represented in matrix component form, and can be obtained from this form by inserting identity operators. In the case of continuous variables, integrals are used instead of sums. To calculate an expectation value, the wave-function must be inserted into the equation as shown.
Inertia
I would appreciate if someone could set me straight here. I understand if I have an arbitrary operator, I can express it in matrix component notation as follows:

Oi,j = <vi|O|vj>

Is it possible to get a representation of the operator O back from this component form. I'm more interested in what to do in the case of continuous i and j so I assume I will have to do a 2 dimensional integral. Also how could I go from this form to calculate an expectation value <O>. Again I would have thought this would be a 2D integral as-well but something a bit more as I would want this <X|O|X> where X is a wave-function.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your questions can be found by inserting identity operators on either side of O. We express the identity operators in the v basis as ##\sum_i \mid v_i \rangle \langle v_i \mid\; = \; \sum_j \mid v_j \rangle \langle v_j \mid \;= I##

\begin{align*} O &= \sum_{i,j} \mid v_i \rangle \langle v_i \mid O \mid v_j \rangle \langle v_j \mid \\ &= \sum_{i,j} \mid v_i \rangle O_{ij}\langle v_j \mid
\end{align*}

For the continuous case, we just replace sums by integrals.

Supposing [tex]\mid X \rangle = \sum_{i} \psi_v(i) \mid v_i \rangle[/tex]

[tex]\langle X \mid O \mid X \rangle = \sum_{i,j}\psi^*_v(i) \langle v_i \mid O \mid v_j \rangle \psi_v(j) =\sum_{i,j}\psi^*_v(i) O_{ij} \psi_v(j) [/tex]

Related to Help with Operators written as components.

What are operators written as components?

Operators written as components are symbols or words that are used to perform specific mathematical or logical operations on one or more values. They are used in programming languages to manipulate data and control the flow of a program.

What is the purpose of using operators written as components?

The purpose of using operators written as components is to simplify complex operations and make them easier to read and understand. They allow programmers to perform tasks such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and comparison without having to write out lengthy code.

What are some common examples of operators written as components?

Some common examples of operators written as components include arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /), comparison operators (>, <, ==), logical operators (&&, ||), and assignment operators (=, +=, -=).

How do operators written as components work?

Operators written as components follow specific rules and precedence, meaning that some operators will be evaluated before others. They also have associativity, which determines the order in which multiple operators of the same precedence are evaluated.

What are some tips for using operators written as components effectively?

Some tips for using operators written as components effectively include understanding their precedence and associativity, using parentheses to clarify complex expressions, and avoiding overuse of complex operators in favor of simpler and more readable code.