Help with Newton's Laws (AP Physics B)

In summary, the problem involves a 15kg block on top of a 25kg block, with a coefficient of static friction of 0.408 between the blocks and no friction between the 25kg block and the floor. The goal is to find the maximum net force that can be applied to the 25kg block before the 15kg block begins to slide. The equations used are sigmaF = a(sigmaM) and fr = (mu)g. The attempt at a solution involves finding the point where the exerted force surpasses the friction force, but this did not give the correct answer. The questions to consider are what force causes the top block to accelerate and what is the maximum acceleration the top block can have.
stonecoldgen

Homework Statement

they keep telling me it is a simple problem, I've actually done harder problems of the same thing, but i just don't seem to get this one.

A 15kg block sits on a 25kg block. The coefficient of static friction between the blocks is 0.408 and there is no friction between the 25kg block and the floor. Find the maximum net force that can be applied to the 25kg blcok before the 15kg blcok begins to slide.

Homework Equations

sigmaF=a(sigmaM)
fr=(mu)g

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i need to find out at which point the exerted force surpases the friction force (because it is what holds the 2 blocks together).

This didn't work exactly how i wanted and it didn't give me the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What force causes the top block to accelerate? What's the maximum acceleration the top block can have?

Related to Help with Newton's Laws (AP Physics B)

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. How does the third law of motion relate to action and reaction?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How can I apply Newton's laws to solve problems in AP Physics B?

To solve problems involving Newton's laws in AP Physics B, you will need to identify the forces acting on an object and apply the appropriate equations, such as F=ma and the law of action and reaction. It is also important to draw free-body diagrams to visualize the forces acting on the object. Practice and understanding of the concepts will help you effectively apply Newton's laws to problem solving.