Comparing TI-89 & HP 50G: Memory, Programs & More

• Calculators
  • Thread starter ScaryManInThePa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-83 Ti-89
In summary, the main difference between the HP 50G and TI-89 calculators is that the HP is more powerful while the TI has more 3rd party support. The HP 50G can expand its memory with an SD card, but the maximum recognizable space is only 512MB. It is not possible to run TI programs on an HP 50G. Based on the user's needs for games, programs, and notes, a TI calculator would be a better choice.
ScaryManInThePa
The main difference between the two (other than the RPN which I don't care much about as I am already used to using a TI-83 which doesn't have RPN) is that the HP is powerful, and the TI has more 3rd Party support. Of that though, the things I care about most is that you can expand the memory of the HP 50G with an SD card, and that TI-89 has many more 3rd programs than the HP 50G. So basically, I'm wondering a few things.

What is the maximum recognizable of space on the SD card? If I put a 4GB card in the HP 50G would it recognize 4GB? I wouldn't use 4GB, infact, I don't see how I'd use more than a few extra MB, but I was just wondering, how much could be recognized?

Is there a way that TI-89 programs can be run on an HP 50G? It probably sounds stupid, but I was thinking maybe there's some way to install something that allows it to run the programs of other codes.

Will I really need more than the space aviable on a TI-89? I'd like to have a few games, and some programs for certin subjects and some notes and stuff, but I won't have huge amounts of stuff. And I could rotate what I have on there, but 2.7MB just doesn't sound like a whole lot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The max for the SD card is 512MB. You certainly won't need more than that.

I don't think Ti programs can run on an HP.

From your post it looks to me like you should get a Ti.

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the TI-89 and HP 50G calculators. It's always helpful to compare and contrast different models before making a decision.

To answer your questions, the maximum recognizable space on an SD card for the HP 50G is 2GB. So if you were to put a 4GB card in, it would only recognize 2GB. As for running TI-89 programs on an HP 50G, unfortunately, there is no way to do so. The two calculators use different programming languages and are not compatible with each other.

In terms of needing more than the space available on a TI-89, it really depends on your personal needs and usage. If you're not planning on storing large files or programs, then the 2.7MB on the TI-89 may be enough for you. However, if you do need more space, the ability to expand the memory with an SD card on the HP 50G may be a better option for you.

Ultimately, it's important to consider your own needs and preferences when choosing a calculator. Both the TI-89 and HP 50G are powerful calculators with their own unique features, so it's important to choose the one that best fits your needs. I hope this helps in your decision-making process.

Related to Comparing TI-89 & HP 50G: Memory, Programs & More

What are the main differences between the TI-89 and HP 50G calculators?

The TI-89 and HP 50G calculators have several differences in terms of memory, programs, and other features. The TI-89 has 188 KB of RAM and 2.7 MB of flash memory, while the HP 50G has 512 KB of RAM and 2 MB of flash memory. The TI-89 also has a QWERTY keyboard, while the HP 50G has a traditional calculator keypad. Additionally, the HP 50G has a larger screen and more built-in functions compared to the TI-89.

Which calculator has a better memory capacity?

The HP 50G has a larger memory capacity compared to the TI-89. It has 512 KB of RAM and 2 MB of flash memory, while the TI-89 has 188 KB of RAM and 2.7 MB of flash memory. This means that the HP 50G can store more programs and data, making it a better choice for more complex calculations and projects.

Can programs be transferred between the TI-89 and HP 50G?

Yes, programs can be transferred between the TI-89 and HP 50G calculators. Both calculators use different programming languages, but there are tools available that allow for cross-compatibility. For example, the TI-89 uses TI-BASIC and the HP 50G uses RPL, but programs can be converted using a software called TILP II.

Which calculator is better for programming?

Both the TI-89 and HP 50G are capable of programming, but the HP 50G may be a better choice for more advanced programming due to its larger memory capacity and built-in functions. The HP 50G also has a built-in programming language called RPL, which is more powerful and versatile compared to the TI-89's TI-BASIC.

Are there any notable differences in terms of other features between the TI-89 and HP 50G?

Aside from memory and programming capabilities, the TI-89 and HP 50G have some differences in terms of other features. The TI-89 has a built-in USB port for data transfer, while the HP 50G uses an SD card slot. The HP 50G also has a built-in equation library and a CAS (computer algebra system) feature, which the TI-89 does not have. Additionally, the HP 50G has a larger screen and supports 3D graphing, while the TI-89 does not.