Help with Latex: What Program to Download?

In summary, the conversation is about a person wanting to write a text in LaTeX and asking for suggestions on which program to download. The expert summarizer lists two options: ShareLaTeX, which is web-based and does not require any software installation, and installing LaTeX on the computer. They also recommend TeX Studio as an editor and a reference book. The person then asks if ShareLaTeX is free for writing lecture slides, to which the expert confirms that everything recommended is free except for Google Drive and Dropbox integration. The person decides to use ShareLaTeX and the expert compliments the final result.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I have to write a text in latex.. (Nerd)

Do you have any suggestions, which program I should download ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends. If you just want to get your feet wet, check out ShareLaTeX. You just sign up for an account, and you don't need to install any software. It actually has a decent feature set, with vim keybindings. You have to pay for Google Drive or Dropbox integration, though.

Next alternative, if you want to go deeper: install LaTeX on your computer (plain vanilla TeX Live for Linux, MiKTeX for Windows, and MacTex for Macintosh). If you're on Windows, you will also need GhostScript and GhostView. Then I would install TeX Studio (Windows, Mac or Linux) for your editor.

Don't forget a good reference book - I like Math Into $\LaTeX$, by George Gratzer.

Ackbach said:
That depends. If you just want to get your feet wet, check out ShareLaTeX.

Highly recommended.

Ackbach said:
That depends. If you just want to get your feet wet, check out ShareLaTeX. You just sign up for an account, and you don't need to install any software.

ZaidAlyafey said:
Highly recommended.

So, is it free, if I just want to write a lecture slide? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, is it free, if I just want to write a lecture slide? (Thinking)

Everything I just recommended is free, except the Google Drive and/or Dropbox integration of ShareLaTeX.

It sounds to me like ShareLaTeX is the way to go. You can fairly quickly use one of their templates to do what you need, I should think.

I wrote the following lecture using sharelatex.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I wrote the following lecture using sharelatex.

It looks nice! (Smile)

Related to Help with Latex: What Program to Download?

1. What is Latex and why do I need to download a program for it?

Latex is a typesetting system commonly used in scientific and technical documents. It allows for precise and professional-looking formatting of equations, tables, and figures. In order to use Latex, you need to download a program that will process your document and generate a PDF file.

2. Which program should I download for Latex?

There are several programs available for Latex, such as Texmaker, Texstudio, and Overleaf. It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the features you need. Texmaker and Texstudio are popular options for desktop use, while Overleaf is a cloud-based platform that allows for collaboration on documents.

3. Is Latex difficult to learn?

Latex has a steep learning curve, but it is not difficult to learn with practice. It uses a markup language instead of a graphical interface, which may take some time to get used to. However, there are many resources available online, such as tutorials and forums, to help you learn Latex.

4. Can I use Latex for any type of document?

Latex is mainly used for scientific and technical documents, but it can also be used for other types of documents such as resumes, letters, and presentations. It is particularly useful for documents with complex equations or large amounts of data.

5. Do I need any special software to view Latex documents?

No, you do not need any special software to view Latex documents. The generated PDF file can be viewed on any standard PDF viewer, such as Adobe Acrobat or Preview. However, if you want to edit or compile Latex documents, you will need to download a Latex program.