Help With Integration Calculation - Struggling?

• MHB
  • Thread starter JWelford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation involving the integral of e^-1/2u^2 du and the struggle to solve it. The formula is revised to e^-1/2v^2 dv with the lower bound being -∞. The conversation also provides a trick to remember how to solve the integral using polar coordinates.
JWelford
\int_{-0.4088}^{-\infty}\,e^{-1/2.4^2}d struggling to solve this calculation. Not sure if i have written the formula in the right way. First post on this site. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
JWelford said:
\int_{-0.4088}^{-\infty}\,e^{-1/2.4^2}d struggling to solve this calculation. Not sure if i have written the formula in the right way. First post on this site. thanks
\(\displaystyle \int_{-.4088}^{\infty} e^{-1/2.4} d\)

There needs to be a variable in there somewhere!

-Dan

topsquark said:
\(\displaystyle \int_{-.4088}^{\infty} e^{-1/2.4} d\)

There needs to be a variable in there somewhere!

-Dan

woops its e^-1/2 . u^2 du

and the lower bound is minus infinity

JWelford said:
woops its e^-1/2 . u^2 du

and the lower bound is minus infinity
Here's a trick to remember. Let
\(\displaystyle I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-u^2/2}~du\)

Now, u is a "dummy variable" so we can just as easily say that \(\displaystyle I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-v^2/2}~dv\).

Since u and v are unrelated we can multiply these together:
\(\displaystyle I^2 = \left ( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-u^2/2}~du \right ) \left ( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-v^2/2}~dv \right ) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-u^2/2} ~ e^{-v^2/2}~dv~du\)

So
\(\displaystyle I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{(-1/2)(u^2 + v^2)} ~dv~du\)

Define a set of polar coordinates \(\displaystyle ( r, \theta )\) such that \(\displaystyle u = r~cos( \theta )\) and \(\displaystyle v = r~sin( \theta )\). The Jacobian is equal to r and \(\displaystyle u^2 + v^2 = r^2\), so
\(\displaystyle I^2 = \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} e^{-r^2/2} ~r~d \theta~dr\)

The rest I leave to you.

-Dan

Related to Help With Integration Calculation - Struggling?

1. What is integration calculation?

Integration calculation is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. Why do people struggle with integration calculation?

Integration calculation can be a challenging concept to grasp because it requires a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It also involves multiple steps and can be time-consuming, which can make it difficult for some people.

3. How can I improve my integration calculation skills?

One of the best ways to improve your integration calculation skills is to practice regularly. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It's also helpful to review the fundamental concepts and techniques used in integration, such as the power rule and substitution method.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in integration calculation?

Some common mistakes in integration calculation include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not checking for discontinuities or endpoints in the interval of integration. It's important to double-check your work and be mindful of these potential mistakes.

5. Are there any resources that can help with integration calculation?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with integration calculation. You can find online tutorials, practice problems, and video lessons that explain the concepts and techniques used in integration. Your teacher or professor may also provide extra resources or offer office hours for additional help.