Help with finding the value of n

• MHB
  • Thread starter angelcause
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation discusses a special case of an arithmetic progression, in which the sum of the numbers from 0 to n is equal to n multiplied by n+1, divided by 2. The value of i ranges from 0 to n, and the sum can be calculated as (n+1)n/2. The conversation also includes a link to a simpler proof for this formula.
angelcause
Hello, I am new with sigma and can't figure the below out, please help me.

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{n}\)i=n(n+1)/2Thanks a million.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum!

This sequence is a special case of an arithmetic progression.

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n i=1+2\dots+(n-1)+n=(1+n)+(2+n-1)+\dots=(n+1)+(n+1)+\dots\)

If $n$ is even, then the last sum has $n/2$ terms, so the result is $(n+1)n/2$. If $n$ is odd, then there are $(n-1)/2$ terms equal to $n+1$ and there remains the middle term of the original sequence, which is $(n+1)/2$. The total sum is $(n+1)(n-1)/2+(n+1)/2=(n+1)n/2$.

The link above has a simpler proof.

Thank you but the value for i is 0, can u please get it step by step

angelcause said:
the value for i is 0
In this sum, $i$ does not have a fixed value. Instead, the value of $i$ ranges from $0$ to $n$. But note that
\[
\sum_{i=0}^ni=0+1+\dots+(n-1)+n=1+\dots+(n-1)+n=\sum_{i=1}^ni.
\]

angelcause said:
Hello, I am new with sigma and can't figure the below out, please help me.

[tex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{n}i \;=\; \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

Thanks a million.

It says, "the sum of the [tex]i's[/tex] as [tex]i[/tex] goes from 0 to [tex]n[/tex]".

[tex]\displaystyle \sum^n_{i-0}i \;=\;0 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + \cdots + n[/tex]

Related to Help with finding the value of n

1. What is the value of n in a scientific experiment?

The value of n in a scientific experiment represents the sample size, or the number of subjects or observations included in the study.

2. How do I determine the appropriate value of n for my experiment?

The appropriate value of n for an experiment depends on various factors, such as the research question, type of study, and expected effect size. Consult with a statistician or refer to statistical tables to determine the appropriate sample size for your experiment.

3. Can I change the value of n during the course of my experiment?

Changing the value of n during an experiment can significantly affect the validity and reliability of your results. It is best to determine the appropriate sample size before starting the experiment and stick to it.

4. What is the relationship between the value of n and the statistical power of an experiment?

The value of n has a direct impact on the statistical power of an experiment. A larger sample size (higher n) generally results in higher statistical power, allowing for greater sensitivity to detect a true effect.

5. Are there any alternatives to increasing the value of n in an experiment?

If increasing the value of n is not feasible or practical, researchers can consider using statistical techniques such as power analysis or effect size calculations to determine the appropriate sample size for their study. Additionally, utilizing a control group or conducting a systematic review of previous studies can also help strengthen the validity of the results.