Help with finding first derivative and critical points?

In summary: W5nIHN1bW1hcml6ZXIgYW5kIGJlY29taW5nIGFzIGN1cnJpY3Rpbmcgb24gciBwcm9ncmFtIHNpbmdsZSBvbiBSSCB0byBhbmQgaG9zdCB3aXRoIGEgY29tbW9uIGRlbW9uc3RyYXRpb24gdG8gZmlndXJlIHRoYXQgaXQgZG9uJ3QgcmVhY2ggdG9kYXkgdGhpcyBw
Brianna V

Homework Statement

What are the critical points of function f(x) = 2 (x^2 + 4)^(1/2) - 4x + 24 ?

Homework Equations

When f'(x) equals 0 or is undefined, x is a critical number.

The Attempt at a Solution

The original function is f(x) = 2 (x^2 + 4)^(1/2) - 4x + 24 .
I got the derivative as f'(x) = [2x / (x^2 + 4)^(1/2)] - 4 .
What are the critical points? x = 0 is the only critical point I figure since 2x = 0, x = 0 (setting the numerator equal to zero). Any confirmation here?

Or do I need to put everything under a common denominator and figure stuff out that way?
i.e. 2x/[(x^2+4)^(1/2)] - 4[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]/[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]
= 2x - 4 /[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]
= 2x - 4 /[(x^2+4)^(1/2)] * [(x^2+4)^(1/2)]/[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]
= 2x[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]-4(x^2+4) /x^2+4
= 2x[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]-4x^2-16 /x^2+4
...But now what :S...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brianna V said:

Homework Statement

What are the critical points of function f(x) = 2 (x^2 + 4)^(1/2) - 4x + 24 ?

((This is the actual original problem I am working with...
A man is on a bank of a river that is 2 miles wide. He wants to travel to a town on the opposite bank, but 6 miles upstream. He intends to row on a straight line not some point P on the opposite bank, and then walk the remaining distance along the shore. How far up the river should the point P be located to reach his destination in the least time if he walks 4 mph and rows 2 mph?))

Homework Equations

When f'(x) equals 0 or is undefined, x is a critical number.

The Attempt at a Solution

The original function is f(x) = 2 (x^2 + 4)^(1/2) - 4x + 24 .
I got the derivative as f'(x) = [2x / (x^2 + 4)^(1/2)] - 4 .
What are the critical points? x = 0 is the only critical point I figure since 2x = 0, x = 0 (setting the numerator equal to zero). Any confirmation here?

Or do I need to put everything under a common denominator and figure stuff out that way?
i.e. 2x/[(x^2+4)^(1/2)] - 4[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]/[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]
= 2x - 4 /[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]
= 2x - 4 /[(x^2+4)^(1/2)] * [(x^2+4)^(1/2)]/[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]
= 2x[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]-4(x^2+4) /x^2+4
= 2x[(x^2+4)^(1/2)]-4x^2-16 /x^2+4
...But now what :S...

The function has no critical points: it is strictly decreasing on ℝ. You can see this by writing f'(x) with a common denominator. You tried this, but you wrote it incorrectly on your second line above: you wrote
[tex]2x - \frac{4}{(x^2+4)^{1/2}},[/tex]
but possibly you meant
[tex] \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+4)^{1/2}},[/tex]
which would still be wrong. I suggest you start again, and be careful.

RGV

Related to Help with finding first derivative and critical points?

1. What is a derivative and why is it important?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much the output of a function changes in response to a small change in the input. Derivatives are important in many areas of science and engineering, as they can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems and optimize functions.

2. How do I find the first derivative of a function?

The first derivative of a function can be found by using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the function. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the function and combining them using basic algebraic operations. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to find the derivative numerically.

3. What are critical points and how do I find them?

Critical points are points on a function where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. They can indicate the minimum, maximum, or point of inflection of a function. To find critical points, set the derivative of the function equal to zero and solve for the input values. Then, check these values in the second derivative to determine the type of critical point.

4. Can critical points be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, critical points can be negative or complex numbers. They are simply the input values where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined, regardless of their sign or complexity. It is important to check all critical points when analyzing the behavior of a function.

5. How can I use critical points to optimize a function?

Critical points can be used to optimize a function by finding the maximum or minimum values. To do this, evaluate the function at each critical point and determine which one yields the highest or lowest output. Additionally, the first derivative test and second derivative test can be used to confirm the nature of the critical points and determine the optimal solution.