Help with double integral - volume between 2 surfaces

In summary, the homework statement is that to find the volume of a solid bounded by two surfaces, z = 1- \sqrt{\frac{x}{4}^2 + \frac{y}{2 sqrt{2}}^2}, and z = 0 and z = 1, you integrate from the xy plane up to the surface of the first equation, and the area of integration is the elliptical cylinder. The attempt at a solution states that the first surface is an ellipsoid, with the highest point at z = 1 and x = 0 and y = 0, and the second surface is interpreted as a cylinder with the base an ellipse centered at x = 2 and y = 0. There
coodgee

Homework Statement

find volume of the solid bounded by the surfaces

z = 1- [itex]\sqrt{\frac{x}{4}^2 + \frac{y}{2 sqrt{2}}^2}[/itex]

and x^2/4 -x +(Y^2)/2 = 0

and the planes z = 0 and z = 1

Homework Equations

z = 1- [itex]\sqrt{\frac{x}{4}^2 + \frac{y}{2 sqrt{2}}^2}[/itex]

and x^2/4 -x +(Y^2)/2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the first surface is an ellipsoid with it's highest point at z =1 and x = 0 and y = 0 and the second "surface" I have interpreted as a cylinder whose base is an ellipse centred at x = 2 and y =0. So it seems like there could be two solids here, the first would have an elliptical base of the z = 0 plane and the top would be the surface of the first equation above and the sides would be the sides of the cylinder. But it seems like I could also have another similar solid where the top is the z =1 plane and the base is the surface of the first equation.

I think I must be a long way off track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
coodgee said:
I think the first surface is an ellipsoid
Not an ellipsoid. A cone, of sorts?
I agree the z=1 plane seems redundant.

ok so we have now got it to the point where we are integrating from z goes from the xy plane up to the cone surface, and the area of integration is the elliptical cylinder.

so in polar coordinates I think the integrand is 1 -r/2

but I am not sure what the limits of integration are for r. The equation of the elliptical cylinder is ((x-2)/2)^2 + y^2/2 =1 so the ellipse doesn't have it's centre on the origin. does this mean the limits of integration for r is not 0 to 1?

coodgee said:
ok so we have now got it to the point where we are integrating from z goes from the xy plane up to the cone surface, and the area of integration is the elliptical cylinder.
I think it's a bit clearer if you take a slice at some z value. What does the region of integration look like?

since the base we are integrating over is an ellipse with a = 2 and b = root2, we have converted to elliptic coordinates x = 2r cos(θ) and y = sqrt(2)r cos(θ)

and integrating the top function from my original post. when I convert it to elliptic coordinates it reduces to
(1 - r/2) r dr dθ

but now I'm not sure what the limits of integration for r should be.

I thought maybe I need to transform both funtions so the volume I am finding is centred at the origin?

Or is there a better way?

coodgee said:
since the base we are integrating over is an ellipse with a = 2 and b = root2, we have converted to elliptic coordinates x = 2r cos(θ) and y = sqrt(2)r cos(θ)
But what does the whole region look like at height z? The elliptical cylinder only provides one part of the boundary.

Related to Help with double integral - volume between 2 surfaces

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume between two surfaces. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral calculates the volume between two surfaces in two dimensions.

3. What is the process for solving a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to set up the limits of integration for both the x and y variables, based on the given region. Then, you integrate the function with respect to x first, and then with respect to y. This will give you the volume between the two surfaces.

4. How do you know which variable to integrate with first?

The order of integration can be determined by the shape of the region and the given function. In most cases, it is easier to integrate with respect to the variable that has the simpler limits of integration.

5. Can double integrals be used for other calculations besides calculating volume?

Yes, double integrals can also be used to calculate surface area, mass, and center of mass, among other things. It is a versatile mathematical tool that can be applied in various fields of science and engineering.