Help with double integral problems

In summary, the original conversation discusses a problem involving a double integral of cos(x^2) and the use of Wolfram Alpha to solve it. The person is struggling to integrate the function and is seeking an explanation on how to arrive at the answer. They also mention trying to reverse the order of integration and express gratitude for receiving assistance.
elvishatcher
Can someone explain to me how I would arrive at this answer?:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...m+x=y+to+x=sqrt(pi/2)+and+y=0+to+y=sqrt(pi/2)

This double integral problem came up in a practice test I was taking, and I just can't figure it out. I tried integrating it but couldn't figure out how to integrate cos(x^2)dx and when I put that into Wolfram Alpha it said it involved some special function that seems much too advanced for the level of the course the test is from (it's from a first year multivariable calculus class). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
elvishatcher said:
Can someone explain to me how I would arrive at this answer?:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...m+x=y+to+x=sqrt(pi/2)+and+y=0+to+y=sqrt(pi/2)

This double integral problem came up in a practice test I was taking, and I just can't figure it out. I tried integrating it but couldn't figure out how to integrate cos(x^2)dx and when I put that into Wolfram Alpha it said it involved some special function that seems much too advanced for the level of the course the test is from (it's from a first year multivariable calculus class). Thanks!

Draw the region then use your picture to reverse the order of integration.

Aha, got it. Thanks much.

Related to Help with double integral problems

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region in a two-dimensional plane. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

Why are double integrals important?

Double integrals are important because they allow us to calculate the area, volume, and other properties of complex shapes and surfaces. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the mass of an object or the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe.

How do I solve a double integral problem?

To solve a double integral problem, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you can use various techniques such as iterated integration, polar coordinates, or change of variables to evaluate the integral. It is also important to understand the properties and rules of integration, such as the linearity and the substitution rule.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving double integral problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to properly set up the limits of integration. Another mistake is not being familiar with the properties and rules of integration, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to pay attention to the order of integration and to check for any possible symmetry in the problem.

Are there any tools or resources that can help with solving double integral problems?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available, such as online calculators, textbooks, and video tutorials, that can help with solving double integral problems. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of double integral problems to improve your skills and understanding.