Help with Direct Sums of Groups

• Thread starter thoughtinknot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups Sums
In summary, the conversation discusses showing that the set of non-zero real numbers, denoted as \mathbb{R}*, is isomorphic to the direct sum of the cyclic group of order 2 and the group of real numbers with addition as the group operation. The question is whether the sets are equal, but the main focus is on finding an isomorphism between them. The idea of using the exponential map is proposed as a possible solution to this problem.
thoughtinknot

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]*=[itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]\{0} with multiplication operation. Show that [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]*=[itex]\mathbb{I}[/itex]2 ⊕ [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], where the group operation in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is addition.

Homework Equations

Let {A1,...,An}[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A such that for all a[itex]\in[/itex]A there exists a unique sequence {ak} such that a=a1+...+an where ak[itex]\in[/itex]Ak for all k, then A=A1⊕...⊕An

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]\mathbb{I}[/itex]2={-1,1} I don't think I can show that every a*[itex]\in[/itex][itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]* can be expressed in a unique way. For example let a+=a*+1 and a-=a*-1, then a*=a+-1=a-+1. Am I defining the cyclic group of order 2 wrong? I'm not that sure about direct sums, our prof spent 5 minutes on them and 40% of our assignment involves them :S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I wrong in thinking this question is incorrect since [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is not contained in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]*, thus [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]* ≠ [itex]\mathbb{I}[/itex]2 ⊕ [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]?

The question is correct. Consider the exponential map.

thoughtinknot said:
Am I wrong in thinking this question is incorrect since [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is not contained in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]*, thus [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]* ≠ [itex]\mathbb{I}[/itex]2 ⊕ [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]?

Well, of course the question is incorrect. The sets can not be equal. However, what the question asks is not whether the sets are equal, but whether they are isomorphic. You need to find an isomorphism between the sets.

Okay the exponential map...

So consider ([itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]+, x) the group of positive real numbers, where x is normal multiplication. Then there exists a mapping, exp:[itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex][itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]+ such that exp(r)=er.

This can easily be shown to be an isomorphism, then I can use the cyclic group [itex]\mathbb{I}[/itex]2 to extend this isomorphism to the negative reals aswell.

Last edited:

Related to Help with Direct Sums of Groups

1. What is a direct sum of groups?

A direct sum of groups is a way of combining two or more groups into a larger group. It is denoted by the symbol ⊕ and is defined as the set of all possible combinations of elements from the individual groups, with the operation being component-wise addition.

2. How is a direct sum of groups different from a direct product of groups?

While both a direct sum and a direct product involve combining groups, they differ in their operation. In a direct product, the operation is component-wise multiplication, whereas in a direct sum, the operation is component-wise addition. Additionally, in a direct sum, each element has a finite number of non-zero components, whereas in a direct product, each element has infinitely many non-zero components.

3. Can a direct sum of groups have infinite order?

Yes, a direct sum of groups can have infinite order. This occurs when at least one of the individual groups has infinite order. In this case, the direct sum will also have infinite order, as it is the set of all possible combinations of elements from the individual groups.

4. How do we determine the order of a direct sum of groups?

To determine the order of a direct sum of groups, we multiply the orders of the individual groups. For example, if we have a direct sum of two groups with orders 4 and 3, the order of the direct sum will be 4 x 3 = 12.

5. What is the significance of direct sums of groups in mathematics?

Direct sums of groups have many applications in mathematics, particularly in the study of vector spaces and modules. They also play a role in algebraic topology and representation theory. Additionally, direct sums are useful in simplifying calculations and understanding the structure of larger groups.