Help with Describing Image of |z-1| ≤ 1 in Complex Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical question about the transformation of a complex plane. The transformation involves finding the image of a given expression and determining if a certain inequality is correct. Through the conversation, it is concluded that the inequality should be reversed for it to be correct.
simick1712
Hi everyone - I'm sure there's somebody here who can help with such a trivial question.

It's not a homework question before that's assumed - it's from a past exam paper, which I'm using for revision, sans answers.

It asks to describe, in the complex plane, the image of:

[tex] |z - 1| \leq 1 [/tex]

under the transformation

[tex] w = \frac{1}{z} [/tex]

Now, I found the answer to be:

[tex] Re(w) \leq \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help,

Simon.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about the direction of that inequality? z= 1 itself satisfies |z-1|=0< 1 and z= 1 is mapped into w= 1 which has real part 1> 1/2.

Oops - no, I'm not sure of that at all - what I actually meant (of course!) was

[tex] Re(w) \geq \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Yep. If z= x+ iy, then [itex]w= \frac{1}{z}= \frac{1}{x+iy}\frac{x-iy}{x-iy}= \frac{x-iy}{x^2+y^2}[/itex] which has real part [itex]\frac{x}{x^2+ y^2}[/itex].

If z satisfies [itex]|z-1|\le 1[/itex] then [itex]|z-1|= \sqrt{(x-1)^2+ y^2}\le 1[/itex] so [itex](x-1)^2+ y^2= x^2+ y^2- 2x+ 1\le 1[/itex].
That is, [itex]x^2+ y^2\le 2x[/itex] and therefore [itex]\frac{x}{x^2+ y^2}\ge \frac{1}{2}[/itex].

Excellent - thanks very much for your help.

Simon.

Related to Help with Describing Image of |z-1| ≤ 1 in Complex Plane

1. What is a complex plane?

A complex plane is a graphical representation of complex numbers. It consists of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis, with the origin (0,0) at the center. Each point on the plane represents a unique complex number, with the x-coordinate representing the real part and the y-coordinate representing the imaginary part.

2. What is the meaning of |z-1| ≤ 1 in the complex plane?

This notation represents the set of all complex numbers that are within a distance of 1 unit from the complex number 1. In other words, it is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the point 1 in the complex plane.

3. How do I plot |z-1| ≤ 1 on the complex plane?

To plot this on the complex plane, first locate the point 1 on the plane. Then, using a compass or ruler, draw a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the point 1. All points within this circle will represent the complex numbers that satisfy the given equation.

4. What does the inequality |z-1| ≤ 1 represent geometrically?

Geometrically, this inequality represents a closed disk on the complex plane, with the center at 1 and a radius of 1. This disk includes all points on its boundary as well.

5. How can I use the complex plane to solve equations involving absolute values?

In the complex plane, absolute value equations can be represented as geometric shapes, such as circles or lines. By plotting these shapes on the complex plane and finding their intersection points, you can solve the equation and find the values of z that satisfy it.