Help with Cylinder Volume Calculation: Part C

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the shell method to find the infinitesimal volume and overall volume of a cylinder, as well as the density and mass of the cylinder. The correct formula for the infinitesimal volume is given and the correct method for integrating it to find the volume is explained. The conversation also addresses the inclusion of the variable "r" in the density equation and how to correctly use it to find the mass of the cylinder.
squelch
Gold Member
This is from a physics course, but felt more appropriate to post here.

I just want some sanity checking on my procedure, since I'm not this far in my calculus course yet but am having to work through it anyway for physics.

I have no idea how to approach part c, not even an inkling of where to begin. If all you give me are Google search terms, then I'll be happy.

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius R and length L is given.

a) Use the shell method to write the infinitesimal volume DV
b) Integrate dv to obtain the volume of the cylinder.
c) The density of the cylinder is given by [itex]\rho = {\rho _0}(1 - \frac{r}{R})[/itex] where [itex]{\rho _0}[/itex] is constant.

Homework Equations

NA.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) A cylinder can be divided into infinitesimal shells of height L and width dr. Therefore, the infinitesimal volume is given by:
[tex]dv = 2\pi LRdr[/tex]

b) This infinitesimal volume can then be integrated as:
[tex]V = \int_0^R {2\pi LRdr = 2\pi LR\int_0^R {dr = 2\pi LR(\left. r \right|_0^R) = 2\pi L{R^2}} } [/tex]

c) No idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
squelch said:
This is from a physics course, but felt more appropriate to post here.

I just want some sanity checking on my procedure, since I'm not this far in my calculus course yet but am having to work through it anyway for physics.

I have no idea how to approach part c, not even an inkling of where to begin. If all you give me are Google search terms, then I'll be happy.

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius R and length L is given.

a) Use the shell method to write the infinitesimal volume DV
b) Integrate dv to obtain the volume of the cylinder.
c) The density of the cylinder is given by [itex]\rho = {\rho _0}(1 - \frac{r}{R})[/itex] where [itex]{\rho _0}[/itex] is constant.

Homework Equations

NA.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) A cylinder can be divided into infinitesimal shells of height L and width dr. Therefore, the infinitesimal volume is given by:
[tex]dv = 2\pi LRdr[/tex]
Not quite. The radius of the shell is ##r##, not ##R##, so ##dv = 2 \pi r L\,dr##.

[tex]V = \int_0^R {2\pi LRdr = 2\pi LR\int_0^R {dr = 2\pi LR(\left. r \right|_0^R) = 2\pi L{R^2}} } [/tex]

c) No idea.
Recall that density is mass per unit volume.

Likes 1 person
The idea is to add the infinitesimal volumes of all the shells, right? But doesn't every shell have a different radius? In the equation you wrote in a) you used capital R indicating that all shells have equal radius. If you correct this, you will easily get the correct answer in b). Additionally, by giving you the density it probably wants you to find the mass of the cylinder. Doesn't the problem statement ask for this explicitly?

So, by way of correction,

a) A cylinder can be divided into infinitesimal shells of height L and width dr a distance r from the center axis. Therefore, the infinitesimal volume is given by:
[tex]dv = 2\pi Lrdr[/tex]

[tex]V = \int_0^R {2\pi Lrdr = 2\pi L\int_0^R {rdr = 2\pi L(\frac{1}{2}\left. {{r^2}} \right|_0^R) = \pi L{R^2}} } [/tex]

Might have caught that if I looked at the given formula for the volume of a cylinder a bit more carefully, but what can you do.

I just noticed that I didn't include that c) was asking for the mass of the cylinder. My mistake.

Attempting to solve for the mass of the cylinder:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\rho = \frac{{{m_c}}}{{\pi L{R^2}}} = {\rho _0}\left( {1 - \frac{r}{R}} \right)\\
{m_c} = {\rho _0} \cdot (\pi L{R^2}) \cdot \left( {1 - \frac{r}{R}} \right)\\
{m_c} = {\rho _0} \cdot (\pi LR) \cdot \left( {R - r} \right)
\end{array}[/tex]

What is ##r## supposed to represent in your calculation of the mass?

vela said:
What is ##r## supposed to represent in your calculation of the mass?

It was given as part of the density equation in the problem, so I wasn't sure how to work it away.

You're being told that the density varies with the distance from the axis. You can't use ##\rho = m/V## for the cylinder taken as a whole because that only holds for constant density. For an infinitesimal shell, however…

Related to Help with Cylinder Volume Calculation: Part C

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do I measure the radius of a cylinder?

The radius of a cylinder is the distance from the center of the base to the edge of the base. You can measure the radius using a ruler or measuring tape, or by dividing the diameter (distance across the base) by 2.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as it is consistent throughout the calculation. For example, if you use centimeters for the radius and meters for the height, make sure to convert one of the measurements so they are both in the same unit.

4. How do I find the height of a cylinder if I only know the volume and radius?

To find the height of a cylinder, you can rearrange the formula for volume to solve for h. It would look like this: h = V / (πr2). Plug in the known values for V and r, and you can find the height of the cylinder.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume of a cone or pyramid?

No, the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is specific to cylinders. Cones and pyramids have different formulas for calculating volume, so make sure to use the correct formula for the specific shape you are working with.