Help with Composite Function Derivatives

In summary, the problem involves finding F'(1) using the given function and derivative values. The strategy to solve it is to use the chain rule and substitute variables to simplify the function. From there, the chain rule can be applied to find the derivatives of each variable and ultimately solve for F'(1).
aslyons
1. If F(x) = f(xf(xf(x))), where f(1) = 2, f(2) = 3, f '(1) = 4, f '(2) = 5, and f '(3) = 6, find F'(1).

I feel I have a decent grasp on the chain rule, product rule, etc, but when faced with a problem like this I just blank out. I don't even really know where to begin.

Unfortunately I haven't found anything in my class notes that would be of help, and I haven't found any explanation online that's intuitive, or even close to the magnitude of this composite.

Could someone please explain to me in plain english the strategy to solve this problem? This isn't for a grade; I'm just studying, so I'm not as interested in the final answer as I am interested in the method to solving this.

Thanks in advance. Sorry my first post here is a question; I've lurked for years now, and always been able to find some help w/o the need to post :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let u= xf(x) so that f(xf(x))= f(u). let v= xf(u) so that f(xf(xf(x)))= f(xf(u))= f(v).

Now, use the chain rule:
What is df/dv? What is dv/du? What is du/x?

Related to Help with Composite Function Derivatives

What is a composite function derivative?

A composite function derivative is the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more other functions. It is also known as a chain rule or nested function derivative.

How do you find the derivative of a composite function?

To find the derivative of a composite function, you must use the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of the outer function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

Why is the chain rule used for composite function derivatives?

The chain rule is used for composite function derivatives because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function that is composed of multiple functions. It is a fundamental rule in calculus that helps us solve more complex problems.

Can the chain rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, as long as the inner and outer functions are both differentiable. If the functions are not differentiable, then the chain rule cannot be used.

What are some common mistakes when finding composite function derivatives?

Some common mistakes when finding composite function derivatives include forgetting to apply the chain rule, confusing the order of the functions, and making errors in basic differentiation rules. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to avoid these mistakes.