Help with complex number derivation

In summary, the length of the segment connecting (x,y) to the origin is r_{1}r_{2} and the angle formed is \theta_{1}+\theta_{2}.
diracy

Homework Statement

(a) Suppose the segment connecting (a,b) to (0,0) has length r[itex]_{1}[/itex] and forms an angle [itex]\theta[/itex][itex]_{1}[/itex] with the positive side of the x-axis. Suppose the segment connecting (c,d) to (0,0) has a length r[itex]_{2}[/itex] and forms an angle [itex]\theta[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex] with the positive side of the x-axis. Now let (a+bi)(c+di)=x+yi. Show that the length of the segment connecting (x,y) to the origin is r[itex]_{1}[/itex]r[itex]_{2}[/itex] and the angle formed is [itex]\theta[/itex][itex]_{1}[/itex]+[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex].

(b) Use the result from (a) to find a complex number z[itex]\in[/itex]C such that z^2=i.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a+bi)(c+di)=x+yi
ac+adi+bci+bd(i[itex]^{2}[/itex])=x+yi
ac+adi+bci-bd=x+yi
(ac-bd)+(ad+bc)=x+yi
x=(ac-bd), y=(ad+bc)

I'm not sure where to go from here. Just looking for some help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the formulas for going from standard form of a complex number to trig form. If z = a + bi = r(cos θ + i sin θ), then
[itex]r = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/itex],
a = r cos θ and b = r sin θ, and
[itex]\tan \theta = \frac{b}{a}[/itex].

If x=(ac-bd) and y=(ad+bc), then what is
[itex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]? You'll need to make it equal to r1r2.

For the angle, you'll need the tangent of a sum identity.
[itex]\tan (\theta_1 + \theta_2) = \frac{\tan \theta_1 + \tan \theta_2}{1 - \tan \theta_1 \tan \theta_2}[/itex]

Last edited:
eumyang said:
Remember the formulas for going from standard form of a complex number to trig form. If z = a + bi = r(cos θ + i sin θ), then
[itex]r = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/itex],
a = r cos θ and b = r sin θ, and
[itex]\tan \theta = \frac{b}{a}[/itex].

[itex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]? You'll need to make it equal to r1r2.

[itex]\tan (\theta_1 + \theta_2) = \frac{\tan \theta_1 + \tan \theta_2}{1 - \tan \theta_1 \tan \theta_2}[/itex]

I'm honestly not getting very far with this. Could you help me out a little more?

Ok, I got the first part. Now I need to prove the angle part. Any help?

eumyang said:
[itex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]?
Start with this. Plug in what x and y equals into the square root and expand the radicand. Show us what you get.

EDIT: Never mind. You said that you got this part.
eumyang said:
[itex]\tan \theta_1 = \frac{b}{a}[/itex]
and
[itex]\tan \theta_2 = \frac{d}{c}[/itex]
Plug these into the formula above and simplify. Somehow you'll have to simplify to y/x. (Remember that you had x and y can be expressed in terms of a, b, c, and d.)

eumyang said:
Start with this. Plug in what x and y equals into the square root and expand the radicand. Show us what you get.

EDIT: Never mind. You said that you got this part.

[itex]\tan \theta_1 = \frac{b}{a}[/itex]
and
[itex]\tan \theta_2 = \frac{d}{c}[/itex]
Plug these into the formula above and simplify. Somehow you'll have to simplify to y/x. (Remember that you had x and y can be expressed in terms of a, b, c, and d.)

Hmmm...

After I plug those in, what methods can I use to simply that expression?

After plugging those in, try multiplying the numerator and denominator of this complex fraction by ac.

(Going to bed now... :zzz:)

Related to Help with complex number derivation

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the purpose of deriving complex numbers?

Deriving complex numbers allows us to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, on these numbers.

3. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 + 5i) = (3 + 1) + (2i + 5i) = 4 + 7i.

4. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method, where FOIL stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. For example, (3 + 2i)(1 + 5i) = 3 + 15i + 2i + 10i^2 = 3 + 17i + 10(-1) = 3 + 17i - 10 = -7 + 17i.

5. How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, we use the conjugate of the denominator. This involves changing the sign of the imaginary part of the denominator and then multiplying the numerator and denominator by this conjugate. For example, (3 + 2i) / (1 + 5i) = (3 + 2i)(1 - 5i) / (1 + 5i)(1 - 5i) = (3 - 15i + 2i - 10i^2) / (1 - 25i^2) = (3 - 13i + 10) / (1 + 25) = (13 - 13i) / 26 = 1/2 - (1/2)i.