Help with Change of variables and evaluating area?

In summary, The mapping u=xy, v=x−y maps the given domain D to the rectangle R=[1,2]χ[0,6]. To evaluate the integral I, use the Change of Variables Formula and substitute in the Jacobian, which is equal to 1/(y+x). Finally, evaluate the integral over R using the function f(u,v)=v.
Suy

Homework Statement

Let I=∫∫D (x2−y2)dxdy, where
D=(x,y): {1≤xy≤2, 0≤x−y≤6, x≥0, y≥0}
Show that the mapping u=xy, v=x−y maps D to the rectangle R=[1,2]χ[0,6].

(a) Compute [itex]\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}[/itex] by first computing [itex]\frac{\partial(u,v)}{\partial(x,y)}[/itex].

(b) Use the Change of Variables Formula to show that I is equal to the integral of f(u,v)=v over R and evaluate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [itex]\frac{\partial(u,v)}{\partial(x,y)}[/itex]=|-(y+x)|
so, [itex]\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{y+x}[/itex]

(b)I have to evaluate I, but I have no idea how, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The change of variable converts the irregularly shaped domain D into the rectangle R, where you can evaluate I easier, to evaluate I perform the suggested change of variable, substitute in the jacobian, and evaluate over R, the jacobian you evaluated is correct, except it should be in terms of u, v, not x, y.

Related to Help with Change of variables and evaluating area?

1. What is the purpose of using change of variables in evaluating area?

The purpose of using change of variables is to simplify the calculation of area by transforming the original region into a new region with simpler boundaries or coordinates.

2. How do you choose the appropriate change of variables for a given region?

The appropriate change of variables is chosen based on the geometry of the original region and the desired simplified form of the new region. This can include using polar coordinates for circular or symmetric regions, or using trigonometric functions for triangular or rectangular regions.

3. What are some common examples of regions where change of variables is useful?

Some common examples include evaluating area under a curve, finding the area of a polar region, or integrating over a non-rectangular region.

4. How does change of variables affect the limits of integration?

When using change of variables, the limits of integration must also be transformed accordingly. This can be done by substituting the original variables with the new variables in the original limits.

5. Can change of variables be used for other applications besides evaluating area?

Yes, change of variables is a versatile technique that can be used for various applications in mathematics and physics, such as solving differential equations, finding volumes of solids, and evaluating multiple integrals.