Help with Cartesian to Ellipsoidal Coordinates

In summary, as long as the expressions for \lambda,\mu,\nu are in terms of only x,y,z,a,b,c, you can solve for them using traditional methods. However, if you want to simplify things, you can use the common denominator of (b2-c2).
jtleafs33

Homework Statement

I need to isolate the expressions for ellipsoidal coordinates (see below)...

I'm given:

x2=[itex]\frac{(a^2+\lambda)(a^2+\mu)(a^2+\nu)}{(a^2-b^2)(a^2-c^2)}[/itex]

y2=[itex]\frac{(b^2+\lambda)(b^2+\mu)(b^2+\nu)}{(b^2-a^2)(b^2-c^2)}[/itex]

z2=[itex]\frac{(c^2+\lambda)(c^2+\mu)(c^2+\nu)}{(c^2-b^2)(c^2-a^2)}[/itex]

For [itex]-\lambda<c^2<-\mu<b^2<-\nu<a^2[/itex]

And, I need to transform this to:

[itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2+\lambda}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{y^2}{b^2+\lambda}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{z^2}{c^2+\lambda}[/itex]=1

[itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2+\mu}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{y^2}{b^2+\mu}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{z^2}{c^2+\mu}[/itex]=1

[itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2+\nu}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{y^2}{b^2+\nu}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{z^2}{c^2+\nu}[/itex]=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve the 3 equations in the first part as a system of equations to end up with 3 new equations, one each for [itex]\lambda,\mu,\nu[/itex] in terms of only [itex]x,y,z,a,b,c[/itex], but this just keeps getting more and more complicated. Solving in this 'traditional' way gives me expressions that even Maple or Mathematica refuse to isolate for one variable. I think there maybe is something I'm supposed to note about the geometry or something that helps me develop the second 3 equations?. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jtleafs33! :smile:

hint: start by multiplying both top and bottom of the first fraction by (b2 - c2) :wink:

Right. I didn't think of that, but I see you're trying to get me a common denominator here to simplify things.

Multiply the first equation by [itex](b^2-c^2)[/itex]
Multiply the second equation by [itex](a^2-c^2)[/itex]
Multiply the third equation by [itex](a^2-b^2)[/itex]

Rearranging, I let:

k=[itex](a^2-b^2)(a^2-c^2)(b^2-c^2)[/itex]

So now I have:

[itex]kx^2[/itex]=[itex](a^2+\lambda)(a^2+\mu)(a^2+\nu)(b^2-c^2)[/itex]
[itex]ky^2[/itex]=[itex](b^2+\lambda)(b^2+\mu)(b^2+\nu)(a^2-c^2)[/itex]
[itex]kz^2[/itex]=[itex](c^2+\lambda)(c^2+\mu)(c^2+\nu)(a^2-b^2)[/itex]

This is still stumping me on where to go from here, I can feel this thing getting more complicated as I try to solve this system of eqns by simplifying and substituting in...

jtleafs33 said:
[itex]kx^2[/itex]=[itex](a^2+\lambda)(a^2+\mu)(a^2+\nu)(b^2-c^2)[/itex]
[itex]ky^2[/itex]=[itex](b^2+\lambda)(b^2+\mu)(b^2+\nu)(a^2-c^2)[/itex]
[itex]kz^2[/itex]=[itex](c^2+\lambda)(c^2+\mu)(c^2+\nu)(a^2-b^2)[/itex]

ok, now divide both sides of the first one by a2 + λ (and so on), and then expand what's left :smile:

tiny-tim said:
ok, now divide both sides of the first one by a2 + λ (and so on), and then expand what's left :smile:

Ok, so:

[itex]\frac{kx^2}{a^2+\lambda}[/itex]=[itex]a^4b^2+a^2b^2\mu+a^2b^2\nu+b^2\mu\nu-a^4c^2-a^2c^2\mu-a^2c^2\nu-c^2\mu\nu[/itex]

by "and so on" what do you mean?
If I divide the second one by [itex](b^2+\lambda)[/itex] and the third by [itex](c^2+\lambda)[/itex] i'll just have 3 rearranged expressions for [itex]\lambda[/itex], so you must mean something different?

I really appreciate your help. There is a lot more to this problem (finding scale factors, calculating divergence and curl in these coordinates) but I know how to do these things. The hiccup I'm having is finding the equations for each coordinate surface, which is what you're helping me with. It's frustrating when you already know what you're trying to show, but you can't figure out how to show it!

jtleafs33 said:
by "and so on" what do you mean?
If I divide the second one by [itex](b^2+\lambda)[/itex] and the third by [itex](c^2+\lambda)[/itex] i'll just have 3 rearranged expressions for [itex]\lambda[/itex] …

no, you'll have 3 rearranged expressions for μ and [itex]\nu[/itex] :wink:

and when you add them all, you should find that nearly everything cancels! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
no, you'll have 3 rearranged expressions for μ and [itex]\nu[/itex] :wink:

and when you add them all, you should find that nearly everything cancels! :smile:

Ahh, well at least it's been a nice algebra practice. I got it now, Thanks! :biggrin:

Related to Help with Cartesian to Ellipsoidal Coordinates

1. What are Cartesian coordinates and how are they different from ellipsoidal coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate a point in space by measuring its distance along three perpendicular axes (x, y, z). Ellipsoidal coordinates, on the other hand, use a geocentric reference system and measure the position of a point on Earth's surface in terms of latitude, longitude, and altitude.

2. Why would one need to convert from Cartesian to ellipsoidal coordinates?

Converting from Cartesian to ellipsoidal coordinates is necessary when working with data or measurements taken on Earth's surface, as ellipsoidal coordinates are better suited for this purpose. It allows for more precise and accurate calculations and analysis of geographic data.

3. What are the steps involved in converting from Cartesian to ellipsoidal coordinates?

The steps involved in converting from Cartesian to ellipsoidal coordinates may vary depending on the specific equations and reference system used. Generally, it involves determining the position of the point in terms of x, y, and z coordinates, then applying a series of mathematical equations to calculate the corresponding latitude, longitude, and altitude.

4. Are there any tools or software available to help with converting from Cartesian to ellipsoidal coordinates?

Yes, there are various software and online tools available that can assist with converting between different coordinate systems. Some examples include Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software, online coordinate converters, and programming libraries specifically designed for geospatial data analysis.

5. What are some common applications of ellipsoidal coordinates in scientific research?

Ellipsoidal coordinates are commonly used in geodesy, surveying, and mapping applications. They are also important in geophysics, oceanography, and astronomy, as they allow for more accurate measurements and analysis of Earth's shape, rotation, and motion. Additionally, they are used in GPS systems and navigation tools for determining precise locations on Earth's surface.