Help with basic multivariable problem.

In summary, the two surfaces intersect at a space curve C. The two surfaces are 4y2 + 9z2 = 36 and x = 2y2 - 3z2. Find a vector parametrization for C. The Attempt at a Solution found a vector curve r(t) = ( t , \sqrt{3t/10+36/10}, \sqrt{2t/15-36/15}) and solved for x.
Vampire
Help with basic multivariable problem. [SOLVED]

Homework Statement

Two surfaces intersect at a space curve C.
The two surfaces are 4y2 + 9z2 = 36 and x = 2y2 - 3z2

Find a vector parametrization for C. (r(t) = ( f(t) , g(t) , h(t) )
Find a set of values for the parameter t over which C is traced once.

Homework Equations

None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved for a vector curve r(t) = ( t , [tex]\sqrt{3t/10+36/10}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{2t/15-36/15}[/tex])

I used x=t and solved the rest, but I'm not sure that it even correct. Additionally, I have no idea how I will find bounds for exactly one trace of C.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi vampire, your paramterisation may not help as i don't think it traces teh whole curve, only a piece of it

have a think about your two sufaces, maybe try drawing some pieces along the axis planes in 3D...

The first equation represents a elliptic cylinder along the axis, the 2nd is harder to draw & looks like some kind of saddle type thing...

However its likely the 2nd surface cuts completely through the cylinder... giving a distorted ellipse over which C will retrace itself

With this mind... an idea could be to first try and parameterise z & y in terms of the projected ellipse on the y-z plane.

Choose cylindrical coordinates, with cylinder along the x axis, then z & y should be easy to parameterise in term of the angle. This should solve the first equation, use your 2nd to get x.

Not 100% it will work, but worth a crack...

Thank you for your help! Looking at it facing the y-z plane helped me solve it; thank you, lanedance.

I've solved it. I parametrized the elliptical cylinder using trigonometric functions:

z= 2sin(t) y= 3cos(t) and solved for x. x= 18cos^2(t) - 12sin^2(t)

t (0,2[tex]\pi[/tex])

Related to Help with basic multivariable problem.

1. What is a multivariable problem?

A multivariable problem is a mathematical problem that involves more than one variable. This means that the outcome or solution of the problem is affected by multiple factors or variables, rather than just one.

2. Why are multivariable problems important?

Multivariable problems are important because they allow us to model and analyze complex real-world situations. By considering multiple variables, we can gain a better understanding of how different factors interact and affect the outcome.

3. How do I approach a basic multivariable problem?

The first step in approaching a basic multivariable problem is to identify all of the variables involved. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for the unknown variables and find the solution.

4. What are some common applications of multivariable problems?

Multivariable problems have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and biology. For example, they can be used to model the motion of objects, analyze supply and demand in markets, design structures, and understand biological systems.

5. What are some tips for solving multivariable problems?

Some tips for solving multivariable problems include clearly defining all variables, carefully writing out all equations and steps, and checking your work to ensure the solution makes sense in the context of the problem. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and use visual aids such as graphs or diagrams.