Help With: Area (Polar Coordinates), Confusing Integral

In summary, the problem is to find the area of the region inside the curve ##r^2 = 6\cos 2\theta## and outside the circle with radius ##\sqrt{3}##. The integral set up to solve this problem is incorrect and the correct integration limits are from 0 to π/6. The region can be identified by finding the values of theta for which ##\cos 2\theta \leq \frac{1}{2}##, taking into account that the curve ##r^2 = 6 \cos 2\theta## is not defined for ##\cos 2\theta < 0##.
tolove
Find the area of the following region:

Inside: r2 = 6 cos 2θ
Outside: r = √3

Here's how I've set up the integral. I have to be making a mistake somewhere in the set up, but I can't figure it out.

r1 = √3
r2 = [itex](\sqrt{6 cos 2θ})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Area}{4}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int\ (\sqrt{6 cos 2θ})^{2} - \sqrt{3}^{2} dθ [/itex], Evaluated on θ = 0 .. [itex]\frac{π}{4}[/itex]

This is wrong, however. 3√3 - π is the correct solution to this problem. (If this is the correct setup, let me know and I'll post the steps to how I'm incorrectly solving it for help there.)

Also, the second thing I need help with, a frustrating integral:

6[itex]\int \frac{1}{(1+cos θ)^{2} } \sqrt{2 + 2cos θ} dθ[/itex]

Any hints on this? Thank you very much for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your integration limits. The curve ##r^2 = 6 \cos 2\theta## is not the "inside" curve throughout the full range ##0 \leq \theta \leq \pi/4##. Try sketching both curves.

jbunniii said:
Check your integration limits. The curve ##r^2 = 6 \cos 2\theta## is not the "inside" curve throughout the full range ##0 \leq \theta \leq \pi/4##. Try sketching both curves.

Trust me I have!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+r2+=+6+cos+2θ

0 to π/4 is all the shading in the first quadrant, right? Can't I simply take that and multiply it by 4? I've also tried this from 0 .. π and I get the same wrong answer.

You need to identify the region where the curve ##r^2 = 6\cos 2\theta## is on the inside. That is true when
$$6\cos 2\theta \leq 3$$
or equivalently
$$\cos 2\theta \leq \frac{1}{2}$$
For what values of ##\theta## does this inequality hold?

jbunniii said:
You need to identify the region where the curve ##r^2 = 6\cos 2\theta## is on the inside. That is true when
$$6\cos 2\theta \leq 3$$
or equivalently
For what values of ##\theta## does this inequality hold?

Ahh, I see. I was incorrectly assuming that pi/4 was the end point.

I needed to set the two r values together for their intercept point. 0 .. pi/6

Thank you very much!

tolove said:
Ahh, I see. I was incorrectly assuming that pi/4 was the end point.

I needed to set the two r values together for their intercept point. 0 .. pi/6

Thank you very much!
Well, it is true that ##\theta = \pi/6## is a point where the two curves meet. But for ##0 \leq \theta \leq \pi/6## the reverse inequality is true:
$$\cos 2\theta \geq \frac{1}{2}$$
You want to find the region where
Also note that the curve ##r^2 = 6 \cos 2\theta## is not even defined for any ##\theta## such that ##\cos 2\theta < 0##. You need to take that into account as well when setting up your integral.

tolove said:
Find the area of the following region:

Inside: r2 = 6 cos 2θ
Outside: r = √3
Actually there's a bit of ambiguity here. I have been assuming that this means the region whose inside curve is ##r^2 = 6 \cos 2\theta## and whose outside curve is ##r = \sqrt{3}##.

But it could also be taken to mean the region which is inside the curve ##r^2 = 6 \cos 2\theta## and outside the curve ##r = \sqrt{3}##, which is the opposite of what I assumed.

Which interpretation is correct?

jbunniii said:
Actually there's a bit of ambiguity here. I have been assuming that this means the region whose inside curve is ##r^2 = 6 \cos 2\theta## and whose outside curve is ##r = \sqrt{3}##.

But it could also be taken to mean the region which is inside the curve ##r^2 = 6 \cos 2\theta## and outside the curve ##r = \sqrt{3}##, which is the opposite of what I assumed.

Which interpretation is correct?

Ahh, I see what you're saying. The ambiguity is due to my short handing the problem.

The second of your too options.

Inside the lemniscate formed by r2 = 6cos2θ, outside the circle formed by r = sqrt 3

Related to Help With: Area (Polar Coordinates), Confusing Integral

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional coordinate system using a distance from the origin (r) and an angle from a reference line (θ). This is different from Cartesian coordinates, which use x and y coordinates to specify a point's position.

2. How do you convert an integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert an integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you need to substitute the x and y values with their respective polar coordinate equivalents using the following equations:
x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). You also need to replace the dx and dy terms with r dr dθ, and adjust the limits of integration accordingly.

3. How do you find the area using polar coordinates?

To find the area using polar coordinates, you can use the formula A = ∫(1/2)r² dθ, where r is the distance from the origin to the curve and θ is the angle between the reference line and the tangent line at that point. You can also use this formula to find the area between two curves in polar coordinates.

4. Can you use trigonometric identities in polar coordinate integrals?

Yes, you can use trigonometric identities in polar coordinate integrals. In fact, it is often necessary to use trigonometric identities to simplify integrals in polar coordinates and make them easier to solve.

5. How can I visualize polar coordinates and their corresponding integral?

You can visualize polar coordinates by plotting points on a polar coordinate grid. To visualize an integral in polar coordinates, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and the area between the curve and the reference line. Alternatively, you can also use the polar area formula to calculate the area and plot it on the polar coordinate grid.