Help with applications of vector addition

In summary, you drew a diagram with a horizontal that is 3m and the chain hanging from each side is 2m long and the object is 98N. You are not sure if it is right because you are not getting the answer from the textbook, but you find your mistake and are now able to do the whole thing. The tension has to balance, so t = 98/ (2sin41.41).
diana7
I can't seem to draw this diagram.
A sign weighing 98N is suspended from the middle of a 4m long chain. The ends of the chain are attached to a ceiling at points 3m apart. Okay so i drew a diagram with a horizontal that is 3m and the chain hanging from each side is 2m long and the object is 98N. I'm not sure if its right because I'm not getting the answer that the textbook gives. And the question is to determine the tensions in the chains.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
diana7 said:
I can't seem to draw this diagram.
A sign weighing 98N is suspended from the middle of a 4m long chain. The ends of the chain are attached to a ceiling at points 3m apart. Okay so i drew a diagram with a horizontal that is 3m and the chain hanging from each side is 2m long and the object is 98N. I'm not sure if its right because I'm not getting the answer that the textbook gives. And the question is to determine the tensions in the chains.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

What angle did you get between each part of the chain and the ceiling to which the two ends of the chain are attached?

I got 97 degrees, but it's not right. My friend told me that it is 41.41 degrees.
i did cosx = (2^2+2^2-3^2)/(2*2*2)
that I used the cos-1 to find the degree

I think i got it. i found my mistake! Thanks

diana7 said:
I think i got it. i found my mistake! Thanks

So you know how to do the whole thing now?

yupp. i had to divide 97.18 by 2 = 48.59
then I find hte angle since its a right angle triangle now. 90-48.59 = 41.41
then i know that the tension has to balance
so tsin41.41 + tsin41.41 = 98
2tsin41.41 = 98
t = 98 / (2sin41.41)
and i got the answer :) thanks for making me catch my mistake lol

Related to Help with applications of vector addition

What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the mathematical process of combining two or more vectors to create a new vector, which represents the result of the addition. It involves adding the magnitudes and directions of the individual vectors to determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

What are some real-world applications of vector addition?

Vector addition is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be applied to determine the net force on an object, the displacement of an object, or the resultant velocity of multiple forces acting on an object. It is also used in GPS systems to calculate the position and direction of an object.

How do you perform vector addition?

To perform vector addition, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual vector. Then, to add two vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method, where you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum of the two original vectors.

What is the difference between vector addition and scalar addition?

Scalar addition involves adding two or more numbers together, while vector addition involves adding two or more vectors together. The result of scalar addition is a single number, while the result of vector addition is a new vector. Scalar addition is commutative, meaning the order of the numbers does not affect the result, while vector addition is not commutative.

Are there any rules or properties of vector addition?

Yes, vector addition follows the commutative and associative properties, meaning the order and grouping of vectors being added does not change the result. It also follows the distributive property, where a vector multiplied by a number can be distributed to each individual vector being added. Additionally, vector addition follows the parallelogram rule, where the sum of two vectors is equal to the diagonal of a parallelogram formed by the two vectors.