Simple vector train problem drawing

In summary, the conversation discusses a ball hanging from a string in a train car traveling eastward with a uniform velocity. The observer sees the ball hanging motionless and the question asks for a free-body diagram for the ball. The answer provided includes two equal vectors, one representing the friction force between the tracks and the train, and the other representing the force exerted by the train to offset the friction. The only potential issue is the use of 'w' instead of 'mg' for the weight vector.
kirby27
A ball is hanging from a long string that is tied to the ceiling of a train car traveling eastward on horizontal tracks. An observer inside the train car sees the ball hang motionless.

Draw a clearly labeled free-body diagram for the ball if the train has a uniform velocity.

i drew two vectors, but it says i got it wrong. both of my vectors are equal in lenth and are 180 degrees apart.

here's my answer image: http://i53.tinypic.com/21et2za.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe my intro mechanics are a bit rusty, but I can't see why that would be incorrect. If the system is in equilibrium (Fnet = 0) that means that the train is moving at a constant velocity (i.e., anet = 0). Perhaps since there is a friction force between the tracks and the train, and (by virtue of Fnet being 0) the train exerts a forward force to offset it, they want you to add vectors Ftrain = [itex]\mu[/itex]Fgi and Fk = [itex]\mu[/itex]Fg(-i)

where i is the unit vector in the direction of the train's velocity vector.

That's the best I can come up with.

Looks good, maybe they want 'mg' instead of 'w' for the weight vector?? I don't know why it doesn't accept it, though.

Related to Simple vector train problem drawing

1. What is a "Simple vector train problem drawing"?

A simple vector train problem drawing is a type of mathematical problem that involves drawing a diagram to represent a real-life situation involving trains. The problem typically requires the use of vectors to represent the direction and speed of the trains.

2. How do you solve a simple vector train problem drawing?

To solve a simple vector train problem drawing, you will need to use the principles of vector addition and subtraction. This involves breaking down the vectors into their components and using geometry or trigonometry to determine their magnitude and direction.

3. What are the key components of a vector train problem drawing?

The key components of a vector train problem drawing are the trains, their direction, and their speed. These components are represented by vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. Additionally, the starting and ending points of the trains may also be important to consider.

4. What are the common types of problems involving vector train drawings?

There are several common types of problems involving vector train drawings, including finding the relative speed of two trains, determining the shortest distance between two trains, and finding the time it takes for two trains to meet. These problems often involve multiple trains moving in different directions and at different speeds.

5. Why is it important to use vector drawings to solve train problems?

Using vector drawings is important in solving train problems because it allows you to accurately represent the direction and speed of the trains. This makes it easier to visualize the problem and apply mathematical principles to find a solution. Without vectors, it can be challenging to accurately represent the complex movements of trains in a problem.