Help with an angled atwood machine problem

In summary, Billy is seeking assistance with a problem and has attached their work for it. They believe their handwritten attempt is the most accurate, but their other attempts have been unsuccessful. They are looking for any pointers or assistance.
student_fun
Hey Guys,

I have attached my problem and all my work for it. The work presented in my handwriting is the attempt I figure most accurate. All my other attempts were experimental to no avail :( I think I must be overlooking something really basic.

Any assistance or pointers are greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
Billy

Attachments

• Assignment 5 Question Seven.doc
    253 KB · Views: 222
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

student_fun said:
I have attached my problem and all my work for it. The work presented in my handwriting is the attempt I figure most accurate. All my other attempts were experimental to no avail :( I think I must be overlooking something really basic.

Hi Billy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It will take hours to get your .doc approved.

Can you describe the problem, and type out what you've attempted? :smile:

Hello Billy,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your angled Atwood machine problem. After reviewing your work, it seems that you have a good understanding of the concepts involved in this problem. However, there are a few things that you may have overlooked.

Firstly, make sure that you are taking into account the angle of the incline in your calculations. This will affect the acceleration of the system and the tension in the string. Also, double check your calculations for the masses of the objects and the force of gravity acting on them. These values are crucial for solving the problem accurately.

Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a free body diagram for each of the masses to better understand the forces acting on them. This can also help you identify any forces that you may have missed in your calculations.

If you are still having trouble, I suggest going back to the fundamental equations for an Atwood machine and carefully plugging in the values for your problem. It may also be helpful to ask a classmate or your teacher for further clarification.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem! Don't get discouraged, sometimes it just takes a little extra effort to find the solution.

Best,

Related to Help with an angled atwood machine problem

1. What is an angled Atwood machine?

An angled Atwood machine is a physics apparatus used to demonstrate the principles of mechanics, particularly the concept of acceleration due to gravity. It consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses, with one mass hanging over the edge of the pulley and the other mass on the ground. The angled Atwood machine is different from a traditional Atwood machine in that the pulley is not directly above the ground mass, but at an angle.

2. How is the acceleration calculated in an angled Atwood machine?

The acceleration in an angled Atwood machine is calculated using the formula: a = (m1 - m2)g*cos(θ) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the pulley's incline.

3. What is the purpose of using an angled Atwood machine?

The angled Atwood machine allows for the exploration and application of Newton's laws of motion in a controlled and observable manner. It also helps to illustrate the relationship between mass, acceleration, and force in a real-world scenario.

4. How does the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration in an angled Atwood machine?

The angle of the pulley affects the acceleration in an angled Atwood machine by changing the amount of force that is directed towards the ground mass. As the angle increases, the force component directed towards the ground mass decreases, resulting in a smaller acceleration.

5. What are some real-world applications of an angled Atwood machine?

The angled Atwood machine is used in various industries and fields, such as engineering, aerospace, and sports science. It can be used to study the effects of different forces on an object, such as the forces acting on a rocket during launch or the forces acting on a runner during a race. It can also be used to test the strength and durability of materials.