Help with algebra in a physics problem

In summary, Alex was having trouble solving for a in a physics problem and consulted a friend for help. The friend provided a summary of the problem and Alex followed the steps to solve it.
JoshHolloway
I don't need help with the physics, it is simply the algebra that I can't figure out in this problem. Here am where I am at:
[tex] -m_{1} a + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta = \frac{\m_{2} a +m_{2} g \cos \theta }{ \cos \theta } [/tex]
I need to solve for a. How the heck do I do this? How can I factor the a's into just one a?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JoshHolloway said:
I don't need help with the physics, it is simply the algebra that I can't figure out in this problem. Here am where I am at:
[tex] -m_{1} a + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta = \frac{\m_{2} a + m_{2} g \cos \theta }{ \cos \theta } [/tex]
I need to solve for a. How the heck do I do this? How can I factor the a's into just one a?
My suggestion is to multiply both sides by cosθ, thereby eliminating any fractions. From there, rearrange terms so that any term with an a in it is on one side, and everything else is on another. Now you can factor an a out of this and solve.

Alex

in the fraction it is supposed to say m2, not just a subscript two. I don't know what I did wrong.
And I did that. Here I will show you how far I have gotten past that. Just a few minutes...

[tex] \cos \theta [-m_{1} a + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta] = m_{2} a +m_{2} g \cos \theta [/tex]

JoshHolloway said:
[tex] \cos \theta [-m_{1} a + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta] = m_{2} a +m_{2} g \cos \theta[/tex]
That's step 1. Now distribute the cosine and put all of the terms containing an a in them on one side. Tell me what you get.

Alex

alright just one moment...

[tex] -m_{1} a \cos \theta + \mu ( m_{1} g \cos ^2 \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta \cos \theta = m_{2} a +m_{2} g \cos \theta [/tex]

I distributed, now one moment and I will attempt to do the second step you said. By the way this is REALLY helping.

[tex] \mu ( m_{1} g \cos ^2 \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta \cos \theta - m_{2} g \cos \theta = m_{1} a \cos \theta + m_{2} a [/tex]

[tex] \mu ( m_{1} g \cos ^2 \theta ) + m_{1} g \sin \theta \cos \theta - m_{2} g \cos \theta = a (m_{1} \cos \theta + m_{2}) [/tex]

You are a godsend! Thanks a lot friend.

JoshHolloway said:
You are a godsend! Thanks a lot friend.
Glad I could help :smile:

Related to Help with algebra in a physics problem

1. What is the purpose of using algebra in a physics problem?

Algebra is used in physics to represent real-world quantities and relationships between them in a mathematical form. This allows for easier analysis and solution of complex problems.

2. How can algebra help in understanding physics concepts?

Algebraic equations in physics can help us to understand the relationship between different variables and how changes in one variable can affect another. It also aids in solving problems and making predictions.

3. What are some common algebraic equations used in physics?

Some common algebraic equations used in physics include the equations for velocity (v = d/t), acceleration (a = ∆v/∆t), and force (F = ma).

4. How can I improve my algebra skills for physics problems?

Practice is key when it comes to improving algebra skills for physics problems. Make sure to understand the basic principles and concepts of algebra and practice solving various equations and problems.

5. Can algebra be used in all areas of physics?

Yes, algebra is a fundamental tool used in all areas of physics, from mechanics and thermodynamics to electricity and magnetism. It allows for the representation and analysis of various physical phenomena in a mathematical form.