Help with a triple integral in spherical coordinates

In summary, Homework Statement Evaluate\int\int\int_{E}(x^{2}+y^{2}) dV where E lies between the spheres x2 + y2 + z2 = 9 and x2 + y2 + z2 = 25.
Kaldanis
Homework Statement
Use spherical coordinates.

Evaluate[itex]\int\int\int_{E}(x^{2}+y^{2}) dV[/itex] where E lies between the spheres x2 + y2 + z2 = 9 and x2 + y2 + z2 = 25.

The attempt at a solution

I think my problem may be with my boundaries. From the given equations, I work them out to be:

ρ = 3 to 5
φ = 0 to π
θ = 0 to 2π

This gives me the triple integral [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{5}_{3}(x^{2}+y^{2}) dV[/itex] which becomes [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{5}_{3}[/itex](ρ sinφ cos θ)2+(ρ sinφ sin θ)2 ∂ρ∂φ∂θ

Is this integral correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kaldanis! :smile:

your limits look ok, but dV is not dρdφdθ, is it? :wink:

(and why are you using "∂" ? :confused:)

tiny-tim said:

your limits look ok, but dV is not dρdφdθ, is it? :wink:

(and why are you using "∂" ? :confused:)

Hi tiny-tim :smile:

Should it be dρdθdφ? I've been trying to work through and learn from my book but it's very difficult to understand. I'm having trouble deciding which order to integrate things. Also I've noticed people using r instead of ρ but I don't think that matters to much, it's still from 3 to 5.

(I had no reason for using ∂, it was just close to ρ! I won't use it again on here:shy:)

Kaldanis said:
Should it be dρdθdφ?

No.

You need to learn:

the volume element in spherical coordinates is dV = r2sinθ drdθdφ …​

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheri..._and_differentiation_in_spherical_coordinates :smile:

(and of course you also need to learn the volume element in cylindrical coordinates)
I'm having trouble deciding which order to integrate things. Also I've noticed people using r instead of ρ but I don't think that matters to much, it's still from 3 to 5.

the order of integration never matters (though usually one order is easier than the others!)

and yes, i use r for both spherical and cylindrical coordinates, but i believe a lot of people use r for spherical and ρ for cylindrical

ρ for spherical is fairly uncommon, but as you say it doesn't really matter (but r is easier to type! :biggrin:)

Multiplication is commutative, so your differential quantities can be multiplied and any order and will still be correct. You're missing some non-differential terms out front of your expression.

Edit: Ninja'd

Thank you both for explaining in detail, especially Tim. I'll go study it some more and come back with an answer for you to check. :)

I don't think this is right. It's a lot to write out in latex so I'll summarise it!

[itex]\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{5}_{3}[/itex] [(r sinφ cosθ)2+(r sinφ sinθ)2]r2sinθ drdθdφ

= [itex]\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex] (2882/5)sin(θ)sin2(φ) dθdφ

This equals 0 so the final answer is 0? I always doubt it when I calculate a volume to be 0.

Everything seems ok to me.

Why do you say that equals 0?

Last edited:
Xishem said:
Everything seems ok to me.

Why do you say that equals 0?

If the first part is definitely correct, then I have to integrate [itex]\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex] (2882/5)sin(θ)sin2(φ) dθdφ. Evaluating (2882/5)sin(θ)sin2 from 0 to 2π gives me zero, which means the final integral is also zero. Since the answer isn't zero I think my beginning equation must be incorrect? :frown:

[Edited out various confusions]

I think I found the issue. Your definition of dV is inconsistent with your angle definitions. It should be [itex]dV=r^2 sin\phi\ dr\ d\theta\ d\phi[/itex]

Last edited:
Xishem said:
[Edited out various confusions]

I think I found the issue. Your definition of dV is inconsistent with your angle definitions. It should be [itex]dV=r^2 sin\phi\ dr\ d\theta\ d\phi[/itex]

Thank you! I was just talking with a friend and he also pointed out that I was using theta when I should be using phi. Now I have the correct answer and understand where I messed up.

:smile:

Related to Help with a triple integral in spherical coordinates

1. What is a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

A triple integral in spherical coordinates is a type of mathematical calculation that involves integrating a three-dimensional function over a region in space defined by spherical coordinates. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other areas of science to solve problems involving volumes, masses, and other physical properties.

2. How do you convert a triple integral from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert a triple integral from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable (r, θ, and φ) based on the shape of the region in question. Then, you can use the following formulas to convert the integrand and the differentials:

Integrand: f(x,y,z) = f(rsinθcosφ, rsinθsinφ, rcosθ)

Differentials: dV = r²sinθdrdθdφ

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates in a triple integral?

There are several advantages of using spherical coordinates in a triple integral. One is that it simplifies the calculation of volumes and masses for objects with spherical symmetry. Additionally, it can be easier to visualize and interpret the results in spherical coordinates compared to Cartesian coordinates. Finally, spherical coordinates can often lead to simpler and more elegant solutions for certain types of problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using spherical coordinates in a triple integral?

While spherical coordinates can be advantageous in certain situations, they also have some limitations. One limitation is that they can be more difficult to work with when the shape of the region is not symmetric or when the boundaries are complex. Additionally, the conversion from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates can be time-consuming and prone to errors.

5. Can a triple integral in spherical coordinates be solved using software or do I need to do it by hand?

Yes, a triple integral in spherical coordinates can be solved using software such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or Wolfram Alpha. These programs have built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for solving mathematical problems involving spherical coordinates. However, it is still important to have an understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques in order to accurately interpret and use the results provided by these programs.