Help with a limit equation involving tangent

In summary, a limit equation involving tangent is an equation that involves the tangent function and the concept of a limit. To solve it, you must determine the value that the input is approaching, use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities, and plug in the input value. Understanding these equations is important in mathematics and has real-world applications. Common strategies for solving them include using identities, factoring, and graphing the function. Special cases to consider include limits at infinity, indeterminate forms, and vertical asymptotes. It is crucial to carefully analyze the function in these cases to accurately determine the limit.
Cacophony

Homework Statement

How do I solve this equation?

lim x>0 (x^3 - 2x^2 + x)/tanx

I don't know what to do here, please help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
divide numerator and denominator by x..

Cacophony said:

Homework Statement

How do I solve this equation?

lim x>0 (x^3 - 2x^2 + x)/tanx

I don't know what to do here, please help. Thank you

Are you familiar with L'Hôpital's rule?

Related to Help with a limit equation involving tangent

1. What is a limit equation involving tangent?

A limit equation involving tangent is an equation that involves the tangent function and the concept of a limit. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value.

2. How do I solve a limit equation involving tangent?

To solve a limit equation involving tangent, you first need to determine the value that the input of the function is approaching. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to rewrite the equation in a form that is easier to evaluate. Finally, you can plug in the value of the input and solve for the limit.

3. What is the importance of understanding limit equations involving tangent?

Understanding limit equations involving tangent is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics. It allows you to determine the behavior of a function near a specific point and make predictions about its values. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.

4. What are some common strategies for solving limit equations involving tangent?

Some common strategies for solving limit equations involving tangent include using trigonometric identities, factoring, and rationalizing the denominator. It is also helpful to graph the function to visualize its behavior near the point of interest.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving limit equations involving tangent?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving limit equations involving tangent. These include limits involving infinity, indeterminate forms, and limits at vertical asymptotes. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its behavior in these cases to accurately determine the limit.