Help with a definite integral property

In summary: Rightarrow \lim_{M \rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{M} f(x) dx = \infty\Therefore, \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2} dx = 2\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{x^2} dx = 2\lim_{M \rightarrow \infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2} dx = 2\lim_{M \rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{M} e^{x^2} dx = 2\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{x
pamparana
Hello,

Saw this expression:

[tex]^{inf}_{-inf} \int e^{x^{2}} = 2 \times ^{inf}_{+0} \int e^{x^{2}}[/tex]

I am unable to understand this change of base. You can change from -inf to 0 and 0 to +inf but do not see how that equals to 2 * the integral from 0 to infinity.

I hope someone will help me see the light :)

Thanks,

Luc

Physics news on Phys.org
it's because [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex] is an even function, that is, it satisfies the equation f(-x) = f(x). if you look at the graph of the function it's symmetric about the y-axis

That makes sense. Thanks for that. I still have one confusion though:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{x^{2}} = \int^{0}_{-\infty} e^{x^{2}} + \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{x^{2}}[/tex]

Now using the function symmetry we have:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{x^{2}} = \int^{-\infty}_{0} e^{x^{2}} + \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{x^{2}}[/tex]

However, the limits are still messed up in the first term, right? The upper limit still has [tex]-\infty[/tex]

Or have I done this completely wrong?

Thanks,

Luca

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{x^2} dx + \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{x^2} dx[/itex] but since [itex]e^{x^2}[/itex] is even, [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{x^2} dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{x^2} dx[/itex] so [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2} dx = 2\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{x^2} dx[/itex]

Ahhhh thanks. Did not know you could change the integral limits for an even function like that.

Cheers,
Luca

And, of course, all the integrals mentioned above diverge unless the integrand has a negative sign:

[tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex]

:rolleyes:

ARGHHHH i don't know how i missed that! i guess it's too late to delete everything I've added to this thread :mad: luckily for me math isn't an exact science

Last edited:
Of course. Checking for convergence or divergence is another business all-together.

However, the change of limits for the integral still holds, right?

Thanks,
Luca

yes, because [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} f(x) dx = \lim_{M \rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{M} f(x) dx[/itex]

Related to Help with a definite integral property

1. What is a definite integral property?

A definite integral property is a mathematical rule that helps to evaluate the area under a curve between two specific points. It is used to calculate the exact value of a definite integral.

2. How do I determine the definite integral property for a given function?

The definite integral property is determined by the integrand, which is the function being integrated, and the limits of integration, which are the starting and ending points of the curve. These values are used to calculate the area under the curve using the specific property for that function.

3. What is the importance of knowing definite integral properties?

Knowing definite integral properties is important because it allows for the accurate calculation of areas and volumes in real-world applications. It also helps in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other mathematical fields.

4. Are there different types of definite integral properties?

Yes, there are various types of definite integral properties for different types of functions, such as polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. Each type of function has its specific rule for calculating the definite integral.

5. Can definite integral properties be used to solve other types of problems?

Yes, definite integral properties can also be used to solve problems involving average value, work, and probability. They can also be applied in finding the area between two curves and in solving differential equations.