Help understanding Direct/Limit comparison tests

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary, the person is struggling to understand direct/limit comparison tests and is seeking help. They provide two questions involving integrals and express their inability to show their work. They mention the idea of finding something larger or smaller to show convergence or divergence. They suggest omitting the sin(t) in the first integral and considering the resulting integral.
IntegrateMe
I'm having an extremely hard time understanding direct/limit comparison tests, and i will post some questions so you guys can attempt to help me.

integral from 0 to pi of: dt/[sqrt(t) + sin(t)]

and

integral from -infinity to infinity of: dx/[ex + e-x]

I cannot show my work because i have no idea how to do these problems. If someone can explain the direct/limit comparison tests then i will attempt these problems and post my work so you guys can guide me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
IntegrateMe said:
I'm having an extremely hard time understanding direct/limit comparison tests, and i will post some questions so you guys can attempt to help me.

integral from 0 to pi of: dt/[sqrt(t) + sin(t)]

and

integral from -infinity to infinity of: dx/[ex + e-x]

I cannot show my work because i have no idea how to do these problems. If someone can explain the direct/limit comparison tests then i will attempt these problems and post my work so you guys can guide me. Thanks.

Intuitively, if you are trying to show something converges, if you can find something larger that does converge, that would do it. Similarly, if you are trying to show something diverges and you can find something smaller that does diverge, that would settle that.

For example for your first problem. What would happen if you omit the sin(t) in the denominator. Would that make the integral larger or smaller? Would the resulting integral converge or diverge? Check it out and see if one of the comparison ideas work.

Related to Help understanding Direct/Limit comparison tests

1. What is a Direct Comparison Test?

The Direct Comparison Test is a method used in calculus to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves comparing the given series to a known series whose behavior is already known.

2. How does the Direct Comparison Test work?

The Direct Comparison Test works by comparing the given series to a known series, usually a geometric series or a p-series, and then using the known series' behavior to determine the behavior of the given series.

3. What is a Limit Comparison Test?

The Limit Comparison Test is a method used in calculus to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio between the terms of the given series and a known series.

4. When should I use the Direct Comparison Test?

The Direct Comparison Test should be used when the given series can be easily compared to a known series, and when the known series has a behavior that is already known (i.e. it is known to converge or diverge).

5. Can I use the Direct Comparison Test for all series?

No, the Direct Comparison Test can only be used for series whose terms are positive. It also cannot be used for alternating series or series with terms that do not have a clear pattern or behavior.