Help to prove a reduction formula

In summary, the problem involves proving the equation 2nI_{n+1}=(2n-1)I_n+2^{-n} using the given expression for I_n and the derivative of x(1+x^2)^n. The solution involves integrating both sides and using integration by parts to simplify the integral of 2nx^2(1+x^2)^{-n-1}.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let [tex]I_n=\int_{0}^{1} (1+x^2)^{-n} dx[/tex] where [tex]n\geq1[/tex]
Prove that [tex]2nI_{n+1}=(2n-1)I_n+2^{-n}

Homework Equations

consider:
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(x(1+x^2)^n) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x(1+x^2)^n = (1+x^2)-2nx^2(1+x^2)^{-n-1}[/tex]

Integrating both sides between 1 and 0

[tex] \left[ x(1+x^2)^n \right]_{0}^{1} = I_n -2n\int_{0}^{1} x^2(1+x^2)^{-n-1}[/tex]

[tex]2n\int_{0}^{1} x^2(1+x^2)^{-n-1}[/tex] = [tex]\left[ \frac{x^2(1+x^2)^{-n-1}}{2} \right]_{0}^{1} + (n+1)\int_{0}^{1} x^3(1+x^2)^{-n-2}[/tex]

which is even more of story to integrate by parts..is there any easier way to integrate[tex]2nx^2(1+x^2)^{-n-1}[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try expressing the integral of [tex]2nx^2(1+x^2)^{-n-1}[/tex] in terms of [tex]I_{n+1}[/tex] and [tex]I_{n}[/tex].

Related to Help to prove a reduction formula

1. What is a reduction formula?

A reduction formula is a mathematical tool used to simplify the integration of a complicated function by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. Why do we need reduction formulas?

Reduction formulas are useful because they allow us to solve integrals that would otherwise be very difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It is especially helpful when dealing with functions that involve trigonometric or logarithmic functions.

3. How do reduction formulas work?

Reduction formulas work by using the properties of integrals, such as integration by parts or substitution, to reduce a complicated integral into a simpler one, often involving a recursive relationship. This allows us to solve the integral step by step until we reach an answer.

4. Can reduction formulas be used for all types of integrals?

No, reduction formulas are not applicable to all integrals. They are most effective for solving integrals that involve trigonometric, logarithmic, or exponential functions, as well as power functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using reduction formulas?

One limitation to using reduction formulas is that they can only be used for definite integrals. Additionally, the process of using reduction formulas can be quite tedious and time-consuming, so it may not always be the most efficient method for solving integrals.