[HELP]Thevenin Norton with dependent source in Transistor

In summary, this teacher's method of finding the impedance of Thevenin and Norton depends on removing the independence of the dependent source. She finds resistance by examining the circuit and calculating the output impedance.
cuongbui1702

Homework Statement

My teacher gave me a method to find Impedance of Thevenin and Norton. Here is her method: she removed Indepentdence source (voltage is closed, current is open) and did not put V external ( so the dependent source did not working because of no source). And she find resistance

Homework Equations

Is that method is true?

The Attempt at a Solution

I search google but nobody give that method

Physics news on Phys.org
cuongbui1702 said:

Homework Statement

My teacher gave me a method to find Impedance of Thevenin and Norton. Here is her method: she removed Indepentdence source (voltage is closed, current is open) and did not put V external ( so the dependent source did not working because of no source). And she find resistance

Homework Equations

Is that method is true?

The Attempt at a Solution

I search google but nobody give that method
It may depend upon the particular circuit and how any dependent sources influence the output.

Can you post a diagram of the circuit in question?

My circuit is AC equivalent circuit of BJT. She said that when she calculate Output impedance = Vo/io, she put Vin = 0. I don't know what she means, maybe she removed Vin give it away or it is like Thevenin-Norton circuit it replace voltage source or current source with resistance source. In this circuit, when she analysis she did not remove Rs. And I analysis this circuit by Thevenin-Norton I remove source put source resistance, Vext and calculate output impedance. She said I'm wrong :(

Attachments

• 11419974_670836309727585_1077887722_n.jpg
    11419974_670836309727585_1077887722_n.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 518
cuongbui1702 said:
My circuit is AC equivalent circuit of BJT. She said that when she calculate Output impedance = Vo/io, she put Vin = 0. I don't know what she means, maybe she removed Vin give it away or it is like Thevenin-Norton circuit it replace voltage source or current source with resistance source. In this circuit, when she analysis she did not remove Rs. And I analysis this circuit by Thevenin-Norton I remove source put source resistance, Vext and calculate output impedance. She said I'm wrong :(
Your circuit diagram image is very small and hard to read the labels, but even so it looks a bit odd for a BJT AC equivalent. I've never seen one with the current source feeding directly into the base! Usually it flows into the emitter. Something like this:

Fig1.gif

In the above circuit the emitter happens to be shown connected to ground. Usually this means that any external emitter resistor is "bypassed" by a relatively large capacitor which shunts AC signals around the emitter resistor.

Setting Vin = 0 simply means placing zero volts at Vin. This can be accomplished by hanging a 0 V voltage source there, or more simply, shorting Vin to ground. For the above circuit this would make the base current zero, since for AC the base and emitter would be at the same potential. That would turn the dependent current source into a fixed source of 0 A...

Can you show the details of your instructor's analysis and your own analysis?

upload_2015-6-7_14-59-54.png

Maybe My analysis is as same as with her but I know that is still exist a independent source Vin and it change to Vth (thevenin-Norton equivalent circuit), but when she wrote her analysis on blackboard, and told she give Vin = 0, I don't know she give it away or it is still there but transform to Vth like my analysis

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-7_14-52-12.png
    upload_2015-6-7_14-52-12.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 532
  • upload_2015-6-7_14-59-54.png
    upload_2015-6-7_14-59-54.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Setting Vin = 0 implies that you are determining the output impedance at the quiescent operating point. If you think about it, for small signal analysis it's really the only practical way to define the output impedance.

Alternatively, consider applying the superposition theorem. If there is some input signal Vin and and external current source on the output (you can stick a current source or a voltage source externally, but a current source makes the analysis simpler). Then the voltage at the output will depend upon contributions by both. Showing just the output circuit:

Fig2.gif

The output impedance will be the ##ΔV_o/ΔI_{ext}## contribution, and will be independent of ##i_b##.

Related to [HELP]Thevenin Norton with dependent source in Transistor

What is Thevenin Norton theorem?

Thevenin Norton theorem is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that any linear, two-terminal circuit can be represented by an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor in series, known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit, or with a single current source and a single resistor in parallel, known as the Norton equivalent circuit.

What is a dependent source?

A dependent source is an element in a circuit that is controlled by another voltage or current in the same circuit. This means that its value changes based on the value of the controlling voltage or current.

How do you apply Thevenin Norton theorem for a circuit with a dependent source?

To apply Thevenin Norton theorem for a circuit with a dependent source, the dependent source must be eliminated or replaced with an equivalent independent source. This can be done by solving for the controlling voltage or current using the given circuit parameters, and then substituting that value into the dependent source equation to obtain an equivalent independent source.

What are the benefits of using Thevenin Norton theorem for a circuit with a dependent source?

Thevenin Norton theorem allows for the simplification of complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and understand. It also helps in finding the maximum power transfer in a circuit, and can be used for designing and testing circuits.

Are there any limitations to using Thevenin Norton theorem for a circuit with a dependent source?

Thevenin Norton theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that it cannot be used for circuits with non-linear components such as diodes or transistors. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady-state conditions, and may not accurately represent the behavior of the circuit during transient or dynamic states.