Thévenin equivalent with dependent source

In summary: The textbook is wrong, and so is this forum post.In summary, the textbook says to turn off independent sources and add an external voltage to find the thevenin resistance, but this forum post says to turn off internal sources and add an external voltage if you want to find the thevenin resistance.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I had read in my textbook that when a dependent source is in a circuit, and you wish to find the thévenin resistance, then the method to solve for the thevenin resistance is to turn off the independent sources and add an external voltage, then find the external current.

The external voltage divided by the external current will give the thévenin resistance.

However, when the textbook actually does the problem, the example does not even follow the method described. It just adds a short circuit across the terminal and treats it no differently than a problem would have been if there was only independent sources.

I am now confused because they don't follow the method they said works, and I am trying to do it using the method described and cannot get the answer. Also, I know how to convert from thevenin to norton, so just assume I was looking for the thévenin first, and will convert to norton later.

In fact, I will quote the paragraph that is hypocritical

''The equivalent-resistance method described previously [independent sources] does not apply to circuits containing dependent sources. Hence, and alternative variation is called for. Independent sources again are deactivated (but dependent sources are left alone) and an external voltage Vex is introduced to excite the citcuit. After analyzing the circuit to determine the current Iex, Rth is found by applying

Rth = Vex/Iex''

This paragraph is a blatant lie as far as I can tell, since the example posted is done using a previous method.

Attachments

• thevenin with dependent source.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 994
Physics news on Phys.org
Could someone confirm that Maylis's pdf file is a valid readable pdf file?

NascentOxygen said:
Could someone confirm that Maylis's pdf file is a valid readable pdf file?

It opened fine for me.

Here's a snapshot of the circuit in question taken from the pdf:

attachment.php?attachmentid=67079&stc=1&d=1393501247.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,872
gneill said:
It opened fine for me.

Here's a snapshot of the circuit in question taken from the pdf:

[/QUOTE]
Thanks g.

Maylis said:
Hello,

I had read in my textbook that when a dependent source is in a circuit, and you wish to find the thévenin resistance, then the method to solve for the thevenin resistance is to turn off the independent sources and add an external voltage, then find the external current.

The external voltage divided by the external current will give the thévenin resistance.
Yes, you can do that. But you don't have to turn off internal sources, you can let them be and still add an external source, if you wish. They are linear circuits, so their behaviour doesn't change with drive level. I'd prefer that it be said that impedance is calculated as

R = ΔV / ΔI

rather than R = V/I so then we'd have just one equation that accommodates all circumstances.

The variation at which you say you have taken umbrage carries nothing untoward. They shorted the ouput terminal to ground. That is nothing more than connecting a voltage source (of 0 volts) to the output terminals, then measuring the (change of ) current. Then using R = ΔV / ΔI

All perfectly legal. :smile:

What you can't do is short out voltage sources and rub out current sources and then try to simplify the internal resistor network. You can't do that to a circuit that contains dependent sources.

Related to Thévenin equivalent with dependent source

1. What is a Thévenin equivalent with dependent source?

A Thévenin equivalent with dependent source is a simplified circuit model used to analyze complex circuits. It consists of a voltage source, a resistor, and a dependent source, which is a source whose output is dependent on the voltage or current of another element in the circuit.

2. How is a Thévenin equivalent with dependent source calculated?

To calculate a Thévenin equivalent with dependent source, you must first remove the load from the circuit and determine the open-circuit voltage and the internal resistance. Then, the dependent source is added back into the circuit and the voltage and current are calculated using the original load resistance.

3. What is the purpose of using a Thévenin equivalent with dependent source?

The purpose of using a Thévenin equivalent with dependent source is to simplify a complex circuit into a more manageable model that can be used to analyze the behavior of the circuit. This can save time and resources compared to analyzing the original circuit directly.

4. Can a Thévenin equivalent with dependent source be used for any circuit?

A Thévenin equivalent with dependent source can be used for any linear circuit, which means that the relationship between voltage and current remains constant. Non-linear circuits cannot be simplified using this method.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Thévenin equivalent with dependent source?

One limitation of using a Thévenin equivalent with dependent source is that it only applies to DC circuits. It cannot be used for AC circuits, as the behavior of dependent sources can change with frequency. Additionally, the accuracy of the model may decrease for circuits with multiple dependent sources or highly non-linear elements.