Help solving Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama

In summary, a man is trying to remove a tree that is leaning dangerously and he is looking for a safe way to do it. He has spoken to experts and has found that the safest way to do it is to hire professionals with liability insurance.
MrPennywhistl
Howdy from the tornado ravaged state of Alabama. We've been going out with chainsaws for days on end trying to help anyone we can. This guy wants to get this tree down so his grand children won't get hurt. What is the safest way to do this? I only have about 10 hours to figure it out. I'm taking a crew out tomorrow and will stay all day until this tree is down. Any help would be appreciated.

Please post your answers on the YouTube page and I will use the best answer. Also, if you subscribe I will upload a video showing how I solve the problem.
I am a Mechanical Engineer who has almost finished my Master's in Aersopace Engineering, so feel free to throw out all the technical jargon you want.

Help!

Destin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MrPennywhistl said:
What is the safest way to do this?

Not being insensitive at all, but: The safest way is to hire professionals with liability insurance.
Damaged trees can be extremely dangerous to deal with.
A wrong cut/inappropriate bracing can result in severe injury or death.

I've seen a case where "medium sized" tree branches were cut-off in the intent of reducing the size of the damaged tree prior to full removal, only to have the trees center of gravity altered and crashing onto a neighbors roof.

I agree with your viewpoint, but the scale of destruction down here is much larger than you probably have imagined. People are having to do the best they can with what they have on hand. This tree has already been in place like this for a week, with no crews available to get to him. The man is concerned for his children. We're going to do something about it.

OK.
Let's work with the fact that this is a disaster scenario with little hope of "professionals' able to respond.

Here's what you do:

1) With the co-operation of the homeowner, REMOVE THE CHILDREN AND ALL OCCUPANTS TO A SAFER LOCATION DURING THIS TIME. Your own house, perhaps, or the Red Cross.

2) I will further consider this and get back to you.

EDIT: Nevermind occupant removal in this case. Just saw the vid. There appears to be no direct danger on the home or those inside. My bad.

Last edited:
Anyway, some of you friends have some good suggestions.
Unfourtunately, none of them are safe.

I would chain-saw the base of the leaning tree, keeping in mind that it may well violently pivot. Remember, there is considerable tension there. So, stand BEHIND THE CUT, yet be aware that it might ALSO forcefully move backwards during break.

So, I guess no scanario is safe. Hmmm... this is a tough one. So much weight, so much danger.

Ah! What you need is someway to do a "stand-off" cut or serious roping to brace the tree during cut. Hmmmm...

The best advice I can give is to ask about this problem on one of the many woodworking forums. They are more likely to have people experienced in cutting trees out of such problem situations. One forum I can suggest is the Ridgid forum (ridgidforum.com). I'm pretty sure there are a number of others, but I don't have the info on them. Woodworkers tend to be pretty helpful people.

Good luck.

Great advice. I'll try the folks over at Rigid. I have a hand operated chain pull saw. I was thinking of notching a groove with a power chain saw then using the hand saw with a long rope.

EDIT. I posted over at RIGID. We'll see what they say.

Last edited:

Related to Help solving Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama

1. What is the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama?

The Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama refers to the challenge of predicting and mitigating the effects of tornadoes on trees in the state. Due to the high frequency of tornadoes in Alabama, there is a need for effective solutions to protect trees and minimize damage to the environment and communities.

2. What factors contribute to the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama?

There are several factors that contribute to the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama, including the state's geography, climate, and vegetation. Alabama is located in the "Dixie Alley," an area known for frequent and intense tornado activity. The state also has a diverse mix of trees, making it challenging to predict which species are most vulnerable to tornadoes.

3. How can scientists help solve the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama?

Scientists play a crucial role in solving the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama. They conduct research to better understand tornado patterns and their effects on trees, which can help inform effective mitigation strategies. Scientists also work with local communities to develop and implement plans for protecting trees and reducing tornado damage.

4. What are some potential solutions to the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama?

There are several potential solutions to the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama, including planting more resilient tree species, implementing tornado-resistant landscaping techniques, and creating buffer zones around vulnerable areas. Scientists are also exploring the use of advanced technology, such as drones and remote sensing, to monitor tornado activity and its impact on trees.

5. How can individuals help with the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama?

Individuals can play a role in solving the Tornado Tree Problem in Alabama by being aware of tornado risks and taking steps to protect trees on their property. This can include regular tree maintenance, planting wind-resistant trees, and creating a safe space for trees to fall during a tornado. Additionally, individuals can support local conservation efforts and stay informed about tornado warnings and emergency procedures.