Help Solve Skier Problem Homework

• Thread starter peyton
  • Start date
In summary, to find the velocity of the skier at the bottom of the hill, you need to use the work-energy theorem and find the difference in energy between the top and bottom of the slope. This difference can then be used to calculate the velocity at the bottom using the corresponding force of friction.
peyton

Homework Statement

if a skier goes down a hill that is 20m high and 70 m long perpendicular to the height... and she weighs 50kg and her intial veloctiy is 5 m/s. how fast is she going at the bottom if the force of gravity up the hill is 40N??
I just don't get it!
PLease help me

Homework Equations

total energy= kinetic energy + gravitational energy

work = Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

Et= .5x50x(5x5)+ 50 x 9.8 x20
= 10425

and i don't know where to go from here please help me!
i have a test tomorrow and i don't understand

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi peyton! Welcome to PF! :smile:
peyton said:
Homework Statement [/b]
if a skier goes down a hill that is 20m high and 70 m long perpendicular to the height... and she weighs 50kg and her intial veloctiy is 5 m/s. how fast is she going at the bottom if the force of gravity up the hill is 40N??
I just don't get it!

What a terrible question :frown:

how can gravity be up the hill … doesn't your professor know what "up" means??

and how can anyone have a weight in kg? weight is in Newtons, mass is in kg :rolleyes:

hmm … if her mass is 50kg, the force of gravity down the hill would be about 140 N, not 40 N (it isn't, is it?) …

i've no idea what this question means …

if you have to answer it, I suggest you ignore the 40 N, which is indeed what you've already done …
Et= .5x50x(5x5)+ 50 x 9.8 x20
= 10425

… now what speed does that correspond to? :smile:
total energy= kinetic energy + gravitational energy

"total energy" isn't really a helpful concept (and nobody calls it "Et" :wink:) …

I suggest you say KE + PE = constant, or ∆(KE) = -∆(PE)

btw i am Canadian
the 10425J
and it was the force of friction was 40N up hill

i need to find the velocity at the bottom of the hill

peyton said:
and it was the force of friction was 40N up hill

D'oh! :rolleyes:

In that case, you need to find the work done by the friction force, and use the work-energy theorem.
btw i am Canadian

ahh! :redface:

then what ?
find the difference then use that force to find the velocity at the bottom of the slope

Related to Help Solve Skier Problem Homework

What is the "Skier Problem"?

The "Skier Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal path for a skier to take down a mountain, taking into account factors such as slope, obstacles, and desired speed.

Why is the "Skier Problem" important?

The "Skier Problem" has real-life applications in areas such as robotics, transportation, and computer graphics. By solving this problem, we can improve the efficiency and safety of various systems and processes.

What is the process for solving the "Skier Problem"?

The process for solving the "Skier Problem" involves creating a mathematical model of the ski slope and the skier's movements, and then using optimization techniques to find the optimal path for the skier to take.

What are some challenges in solving the "Skier Problem"?

Some challenges in solving the "Skier Problem" include accurately modeling the complex dynamics of skiing, accounting for unpredictable weather conditions, and finding the balance between speed and safety in the skier's path.

What are some potential future developments in solving the "Skier Problem"?

Potential future developments in solving the "Skier Problem" include incorporating advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, as well as considering the skier's preferences and goals in addition to physical constraints.