Work, Energy, Power Problems: No Mass? No Speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the efficiency of a downhill skier based on their starting height and final velocity. The mass of the skier is not required for this calculation as it cancels out in the final equation. Another question about determining power without time is also mentioned, but requires more information to be answered.
harujina

Homework Statement

Athletes who compete in downhill skiing try to lose as little energy as possible. A skier starts from rest at the top of a 65 m hill and skis to the bottom as fast as possible. When she arrives at the bottom, she has a speed of 23 m/s. Calculate the skier's efficiency. Explain why the mass of the skier is not required when calculating the efficiency.

Homework Equations

Eg = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand since Eg = mgh, and I'm only given height and velocity. How could I possibly find the skier's efficiency without mass?

*Also, another question asks how I could determine power without time. How is this possible when P = E/t?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just put the mass in as an unknown m and plod through the equations. See what happens.
For the other question, you need to post it in full.

Since mass is unknown so put mass as unknown, at the end the mass will cancel out because Eout/Ein*100%...
Follow the steps
E input = mgh
mass= unknown, so E input= mass*9.8ms^-2*65m = 637m
E input = 637*mass

E out = E kinetic at bottom of hill, so Ek= (mv^2)/2
E out= 264.5*mass
Finally, Efficiency= Eout/Ein *100%
Efficiency= (264.5*mass)/(637*mass) * 100%
Since the mass is same, so they cancel out: it will not effect the answer...
Efficiency = 41.5%

haruspex said:
Just put the mass in as an unknown m and plod through the equations. See what happens.
For the other question, you need to post it in full.
[/QUOT
harujina said:

Homework Statement

Athletes who compete in downhill skiing try to lose as little energy as possible. A skier starts from rest at the top of a 65 m hill and skis to the bottom as fast as possible. When she arrives at the bottom, she has a speed of 23 m/s. Calculate the skier's efficiency. Explain why the mass of the skier is not required when calculating the efficiency.

Homework Equations

Eg = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand since Eg = mgh, and I'm only given height and velocity. How could I possibly find the skier's efficiency without mass?

*Also, another question asks how I could determine power without time. How is this possible when P = E/t?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...problems-no-mass-no-speed.721041/post-6471736

smokiee said:
Since mass is unknown so put mass as unknown, at the end the mass will cancel out because Eout/Ein*100%...
Follow the steps
E input = mgh
mass= unknown, so E input= mass*9.8ms^-2*65m = 637m
E input = 637*mass

E out = E kinetic at bottom of hill, so Ek= (mv^2)/2
E out= 264.5*mass
Finally, Efficiency= Eout/Ein *100%
Efficiency= (264.5*mass)/(637*mass) * 100%
Since the mass is same, so they cancel out: it will not effect the answer...
Efficiency = 41.5%
The thread is over 7 years old.

Related to Work, Energy, Power Problems: No Mass? No Speed?

1. What is the difference between work, energy, and power?

Work is the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance. Energy is the ability to do work, and it comes in many forms such as kinetic, potential, and thermal energy. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

2. How do you calculate work without mass or speed?

Work can still be calculated without mass or speed by using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. In this case, the force and distance must be given in the problem.

3. Can work be negative in problems with no mass or speed?

Yes, work can be negative in these types of problems. Negative work occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a decrease in energy.

4. How does the concept of work, energy, and power apply to real-life situations?

The concept of work, energy, and power can be seen in many real-life situations, such as lifting objects, riding a bike, or even using electronic devices. In each of these scenarios, work is being done to transfer energy and power is being used to do the work at a certain rate.

5. How can understanding work, energy, and power problems with no mass or speed benefit us?

Understanding these types of problems can help us better understand the concept of energy and how it is transferred. It can also help us analyze and solve real-world problems, such as calculating the power needed to operate a machine or determining the work done by a force in a specific situation.