Help simplify the equation for ellipse

In summary, the conversation revolves around simplifying the equation for an ellipse with a center at the origin and a tilt angle, \tau, with the distance from the origin to the ellipse given by \rho(\varsigma). The equation of the ellipse is given as \rho^2(\varsigma) = x^2 + y^2 = x^2(1+\varsigma^2) = (1+\varsigma^2)/(c\varsigma^2-b\varsigma+a). The conversation discusses potential methods for simplifying this equation, including using partial fractions and completing the square, but no solution is found. The conversation also mentions the importance of verifying equations given in a book before accepting them. Overall, the
yungman
This is really a simplification of an equation. It is just very long and complex and I need advice.

For ellipse center at the origin with tilt angle [itex]\tau[/itex], the distance from origin to the ellipse is [itex]\rho(\varsigma)[/itex].

It is given:
[tex]\varsigma\;=\;\frac {y}{x}\;=\;\frac{2E_xE_y\cos\delta}{E_x^2-E_y^2}\;,\; a=\frac{1}{E_x^2\sin^2\delta}\;,\;b=\frac{2\cos \delta}{E_x E_y \sin^2\delta}\;,\;c=\frac {1}{E^2_y\sin^2\delta}[/tex]
[tex]x^2=\frac{1}{c\varsigma^2-b\varsigma+a}[/tex]
The equation of ellipse is:

[tex] \vec E (0,t)\;=\;\hat x E_x\cos(\omega t)\;+\;\hat y E_y\cos(\omega t +\delta)[/tex]
Where [itex] E_x,\;E_y, \; \delta[/itex] are all constant.
[tex]x=E_x\cos(\omega t)\;\hbox{ and }\; y=E_y\cos(\omega t +\delta)[/tex]
[tex]\rho^2(\varsigma)\;=\; x^2+y^2\;=\;x^2(1+\varsigma^2)\;=\;\frac {(1+\varsigma^2)}{c\varsigma^2-b\varsigma+a}[/tex]The major axis [itex]\rho_{max}[/itex]=OA is given by the book where:
[tex]OA=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}[E^2_x+E^2_y+\sqrt{E_x^4+E_y^4+2E_x^2E_y^2\cos(2 \delta)}}[/tex]

I tried to substitute everything in, it get way complicated and no where close. It is just too long to type in my attempt. Can anyone suggest a way to simplify this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neglecing redundant equations, I think you have more unknown parameters than equations.
Which equations gives the ellipse? It should look like ##ax^2 + by^2 + cxy = d## with some parameters a,b,c,d. Based on them, you can calculate the major and minor axis.
The distance of the ellipse from the origin is just the semi-minor axis.

Thanks for the reply. The equation of the ellipse is:
[tex]\rho^2(\varsigma)\;=\; x^2+y^2\;=\;x^2(1+\varsigma^2)\;=\;\frac {(1+\varsigma^2)}{c\varsigma^2-b\varsigma+a}[/tex]

I should have said [itex] E_x,\;E_y, \; \delta[/itex] are all constant. So their is no problem of unknown. Also x and y are variable of t. It is the simplification that is my problem.

As you can see, the equation is very long, I really worked on trying to simplify it, but I have no luck. I am just hoping there is a way to simplify it. It is really not a trick question, the book gave this equation as the major axis, I want to verify it as books make more mistake as people realize and I don't by default taking them on face value. In fact I have already found a mistake in the book already. Problem this is on polarization of electromagnetic wave and finding a book is not exactly easy, it is not common like the calculus books use in colleges where they are very well proof read, checked and corrected, that you don't find mistake or typos.

Last edited:
If those are constant, y/x is constant. This is not an ellipse, it is a straight line.

mfb said:
If those are constant, y/x is constant. This is not an ellipse, it is a straight line.
I modify the original post, I realize I left out a lot of stuff.

[tex]x=E_x\cos(\omega t)\;\hbox{ and }\; y=E_y\cos(\omega t +\delta)[/tex]

That looks more like an electromagnetic wave now.

The time-dependent amplitude is ##x^2+y^2 = E_x^2 cos^2(\omega t) + E_y^2 cos^2(\omega t + \delta)##. This has a maximum for some t, which can be evaluated in the usual way (well, I would expect that the equations can be solved).

Actually this is where I got this:

http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/faculty/nikolova/antenna_dload/current_lectures/L05_Polar.pdf

The formula I want to verify is (5.8) in page 8. I worked through and verified the correctness in Appendix 1 on page 15 to page 17. You can see the last line in the last page that you can derive (5.8) by using A-4. That's where I got lost! even though this is physics, but my problem is a simple math problem I cannot solve!

(5.8) is used in EM book by Balanis. I have a few issue with this book, but sadly Balanis and Kraus are the two books that even get into this polarization in detail. Kraus uses Poincare sphere representation which is different. It uses spherical trig. which is another can of worm! Balanis is even wrong on the equation of the tilt angle [itex]\tau[/itex], that's how bad this kind of books are. I just cannot trust what is given in the book unless I can verify them. Painful is an under statement. Please help.

I looked into partial fraction and completing the square. It just didn't look like they're going to get me there. Any suggestion.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
A-5 to A-8 are needed, too. This is just the method I described in post 6.

I tried evaluate A-5, I am going nowhere either. I don't see how A-5 help as it gives the [itex]\varsigma[/itex] and it's not simpler than from A-8. Then still have to substitute back into A-4.

mfb said:
That looks more like an electromagnetic wave now.

The time-dependent amplitude is ##x^2+y^2 = E_x^2 cos^2(\omega t) + E_y^2 cos^2(\omega t + \delta)##. This has a maximum for some t, which can be evaluated in the usual way (well, I would expect that the equations can be solved).
I am going to try from this angle as I am not going anywhere with the original way:

##\rho^2= x^2+y^2 = E_x^2 cos^2(\omega t) + E_y^2 cos^2(\omega t + \delta)##

Let ##\omega t=A\;,\;\delta=B##

To get max and min, ##\frac {d\rho^2(A)}{dA}= -2E_x^2 \cos A \sin A\;-\;2E^2_y \cos(A+B)\sin(A+B)\;=\;0##

##E_x^2 \cos A \sin A =-E_y^2 \cos (A+B)\sin (A+B)\;=\; -E_y^2(\cos A\cos B-\sin A\sin B)(\sin A \cos B+\cos A \sin B)\;=\;-E_y^2[\cos 2B(\sin A \cos A)+\cos 2A( \sin B \cos B)]##

##\Rightarrow\;\frac {\cos 2A}{\sin A \cos A}\;=\;2\cot 2A\;=\;-\frac {E_x^2+E_y^2 \cos 2B}{E_y^2 \sin B \cos B}##

##A\;=\;\omega t\;=\; \frac {1}{2} \cot^{-1}\left[-\frac {E_x^2+E_y^2 \cos 2B}{2E_y^2 \sin B \cos B}\right]##

Is this the right way? But still don't seem like I am going to get (5.8).

Last edited:
The idea looks good. If you plug this into the original equation for x^2+y^2, you might get the correct result.

How do you solve ##\cos(\cot^{-1}A) \;,\; \cos ( \cot{-1}A + \delta)##

Sorry to keep asking, it's been a while I study calculus, math. I am very rusty in these.

Thanks

yungman said:
How do you solve ##\cos(\cot^{-1}A) \;,\; \cos ( \cot{-1}A + \delta)##

Sorry to keep asking, it's been a while I study calculus, math. I am very rusty in these.

Thanks

Draw a right triangle with an angle cot^(-1)(A). The cot of that angle would be A. So you put the opposite side to be 1 and the adjacent side to be A. The hypotenuse is sqrt(1+A^2). What's the cos of the angle?

Dick said:
Draw a right triangle with an angle cot^(-1)(A). The cot of that angle would be A. So you put the opposite side to be 1 and the adjacent side to be A. The hypotenuse is sqrt(1+A^2). What's the cos of the angle?

Thanks for the reply. I know it is easy to draw and easy if there are concrete numbers to plug into the equation. But I am trying to derive and verify the equation for OA, so I am stuck with constants like ##E_x\;,\;E_y\;,\;\delta## and only A to show:

##A\;=\;\omega t\;=\; \frac {1}{2} \cot^{-1}\left[-\frac {E_x^2+E_y^2 \cos 2B}{2E_y^2 \sin B \cos B}\right]##

To plug into the this equation:

##x^2+y^2 = E_x^2 cos^2A + E_y^2 cos^2(A+ \delta)##

To get

[tex]OA=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}[E^2_x+E^2_y+\sqrt{E_x^4+E_y^4+2E_x^2E_y^2\cos(2 \delta)}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Anyone?

Related to Help simplify the equation for ellipse

1. What is the general equation for an ellipse?

The general equation for an ellipse is (x-h)2/a2 + (y-k)2/b2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

2. How can I simplify the equation for an ellipse?

To simplify the equation for an ellipse, you can divide both sides by the constant on the right side (usually 1). This will give you an equation in the form of (x-h)2/a2 + (y-k)2/b2 = 1, where the denominators represent the squared lengths of the axes.

3. Can the equation for an ellipse be written in standard form?

Yes, the equation for an ellipse can be written in standard form as (x-h)2/a2 + (y-k)2/b2 = 1, where a is the length of the semi-major axis and b is the length of the semi-minor axis.

4. How can I determine the center and axes of an ellipse from its equation?

To determine the center and axes of an ellipse from its equation, you can compare it to the standard form (x-h)2/a2 + (y-k)2/b2 = 1. The values of h and k will give you the coordinates of the center, while the values of a and b will give you the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

5. Are there any other ways to represent the equation for an ellipse?

Yes, the equation for an ellipse can also be represented in polar coordinates as r = (a*b)/√(a2*sin2θ + b2*cos2θ), where r is the distance from the center, a is the length of the semi-major axis, b is the length of the semi-minor axis, and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis to the point on the ellipse.