Help science project due tomorrow - Figure Skater Jump

In summary, energy is conserved throughout the four stages of the figure skater's jump. Kinetic energy is the most conserved form of energy, and is what is used to produce movement.
Cschurch
Help science project due tomorrow -- Figure Skater Jump

Hello, I need help on my physics project that is dues tomorrow. The project is about the energy conservation of a figure skater doing a waltz jump. There are four stages that I explain her kinetic, potential and total energy. For stage four, the figure skater lands on the ice. Her energy is converted into kinetic energy. However, some of her energy goes into the vibrations of the ice. Eventually the skater will put her foot down and slide it on the ice to stop moving. The energy will turn into heat. I was wondering how to calculate how much energy goes into the ice, and how much kinetic energy she has when she lands. Here is some information- the figure skater weighs 45 kg. The total energy for the first three stages is 157.5 J. In the second stage when the figure skater has maximum kinetic energy, her velocity is 2.65^2. If anyone could post anything helpful, soon, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that upon hitting the ice, her vertical velocity would be fully absorbed in an inelastic collision. I would also guess that initially very little of the horizon component is lost. Do you have her horizontal velocity after the jump?
Once skating along the ice, controlling the direction of the blade of the skate is important. Along the direction of the blade there should be very little acceleration of deceleration. But side forces on the blade could be used to apply force to the ice - either by cutting the ice or using the legs for power or as shock absorbers.

Hope this helps.

Cschurch said:
Hello, I need help on my physics project that is dues tomorrow. The project is about the energy conservation of a figure skater doing a waltz jump. There are four stages that I explain her kinetic, potential and total energy. For stage four, the figure skater lands on the ice. Her energy is converted into kinetic energy. However, some of her energy goes into the vibrations of the ice. Eventually the skater will put her foot down and slide it on the ice to stop moving. The energy will turn into heat. I was wondering how to calculate how much energy goes into the ice, and how much kinetic energy she has when she lands. Here is some information- the figure skater weighs 45 kg. The total energy for the first three stages is 157.5 J. In the second stage when the figure skater has maximum kinetic energy, her velocity is 2.65^2. If anyone could post anything helpful, soon, it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

I believe you are missing one very important part of the energy equation, but I'm not sure since you've posted none of your work so far. Can you please post your equations and reasoning for each of the 4 stages so far? That will help us to ask questions that may lead you to better answers.

1. How does the height of the figure skater affect their jump?

The height of the figure skater has a significant impact on their jump. Generally, taller skaters have an advantage as they have a longer distance to rotate and generate more momentum. However, shorter skaters can also compensate with faster rotation and precise technique.

2. What factors influence the distance of a figure skater's jump?

The distance of a figure skater's jump is influenced by several factors, such as the takeoff angle, speed, and power of the skater, as well as the surface of the ice. The takeoff angle is particularly important as it determines the trajectory of the jump and can greatly impact the distance achieved.

3. How does the type of jump affect the difficulty of a figure skater's routine?

The type of jump performed by a figure skater greatly affects the difficulty of their routine. Jumps that involve more rotations, such as a triple or quadruple jump, are considered more difficult as they require more precise timing and coordination. However, jumps that involve a higher degree of difficulty also earn more points in competitions.

4. How can a figure skater improve their jump height and distance?

There are several ways for a figure skater to improve their jump height and distance. They can work on their overall strength and power through off-ice training, as well as specific on-ice drills that focus on explosive movements. It is also important for skaters to have proper technique and body control to maximize their jump potential.

5. What role does physics play in figure skating jumps?

Physics plays a crucial role in figure skating jumps. The principles of momentum, angular momentum, and centripetal force all come into play during a jump. The skater must generate enough momentum and rotational speed to complete the desired number of rotations, while also maintaining balance and control through centripetal force. Understanding these concepts can help skaters improve their jumps and overall performance.