Help on 2 quantum mechanics of atoms problems

In summary, the maximum accuracy for determining the position of a proton traveling at a speed of (6.550+/- 0.010)e5 m/s is limited by the uncertainty in its velocity. The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics expresses a mathematical relationship between uncertainty in momentum and uncertainty in position. Additionally, for a given value of 'l', there can be multiple values for 'm' and for each of these 'm' values, there can be multiple values of 's'.
supermenscher
A proton is traveling with a speed of (6.550+/- 0.010)e5 m/s. With what maximum accuracy can its position be ascertained.

I know that p=mv and x=p/h but what do I do with the +/- 0.010, that is the part that confuses me.

How many electrons can be in the n=6, l=4 subshell. I know that l is n-1, so that can be 5, and n=6, so can the atom have 5 electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org
supermenscher said:
I know that p=mv and x=p/h but what do I do with the +/- 0.010, that is the part that confuses me.

That's the uncertainty in the velocity.

How many electrons can be in the n=6, l=4 subshell. I know that l is n-1, so that can be 5, and n=6, so can the atom have 5 electrons?

No. n is not the number of electrons in a shell, it's the energy level. You need to list out the quantum states and count them.

Yes I know that 0.010 is the uncertainity of the velcoity, but how do I incorporate that into the equation?

supermenscher said:
Yes I know that 0.010 is the uncertainity of the velcoity, but how do I incorporate that into the equation?

Sorry, but I'm not answering that one directly. You should be reading the book.

Now think: What principle in quantum mechanics expresses a mathematical relationship between uncertainty in momentum and uncertainty in position?

x = p/h ? Not true ! Reread the part about the Uncertainty Principle.

For a given value of 'l', how many values can 'm' take ? For each of these 'm', how many values of 's' can there be ?

Related to Help on 2 quantum mechanics of atoms problems

1. What is the difference between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles on a small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It differs from classical mechanics, which is the study of the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects like planets and cars, in that it takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and the idea of wave-particle duality.

2. How does the Schrödinger equation relate to quantum mechanics?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a particle evolves over time. It relates the energy of a particle to its wave function, and it is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location or state.

3. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the dual nature of particles, which can be described as both a wave and a particle, and the limitations of measurement in quantum mechanics.

4. What are the implications of quantum mechanics for our understanding of reality?

Quantum mechanics challenges our traditional understanding of reality, as it suggests that particles can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time. It also introduces the concept of entanglement, where particles can be connected and affect each other's behavior even when separated by large distances.

5. How does quantum mechanics apply to the behavior of atoms?

Quantum mechanics is essential for understanding the behavior of atoms, as it explains how electrons exist in discrete energy levels and how they can transition between these levels. It also explains phenomena such as atomic spin and the behavior of particles within an atom's nucleus.