Help, Negation and Contrapositive of the following statement?

In summary, the contrapositive of "if x is odd and x is a multiple of 3, then x ≥ 6" is "if x ≤ 6, then x is even and x is not a multiple of 3," and the negation is "x is even and x is not a multiple of 3, therefore x ≤ 6."
Tek1Atom

Homework Statement

Consider the statement "if x is odd and x is a multiple of 3, then x ≥ 6." write down the contrapositive and negation of this statement?

2. The attempt at a solution

This is what I worked our as an answer but I am pretty sure it's wrong.

Contrapositive

"if x ≤ 6, then x is even OR x is not a multiple of 3"

Negation

"if x is even OR x is not a multiple of 3, then x ≤ 6"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tek1Atom said:

Homework Statement

Consider the statement "if x is odd and x is a multiple of 3, then x ≥ 6." write down the contrapositive and negation of this statement?

2. The attempt at a solution

This is what I worked our as an answer but I am pretty sure it's wrong.

Contrapositive

"if x ≤ 6, then x is even OR x is not a multiple of 3"

Negation

"if x is even OR x is not a multiple of 3, then x ≤ 6"

Welcome to the PF.

Can you please define the two terms in the context of this problem. What are your book's definition of Negation and Copntrapositive?

Tek1Atom, you are close on the contrapositive. For the implication p ==> q, the contrapositive is ~q ==> ~p.

In your problem, q is the statement "x <= 6" What statement is represented by ~q?
Edit: Fixed error.
For the negation of an implication p ==> q, it might be helpful to note that (p ==> q) <==> (~p v q). So the negation of p ==> q (that is, ~(p ==> q)) is equivalent to the negation of (~p v q) (that is, ~(~p v q)). This last expression can be simplified by using deMorgan's Laws.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark44, as you are aware, there are two variables in this statement so it is quite tricky for me to answer at this point in time, I am pretty new to logic, what would the answer to this question be written down in English?

p: x is odd and x is a multiple of 3
q: x >= 6
Edit: Fixed error.
For the negation of p ==> q, you can instead work with the negation of ~p v q; i.e., ~(~p v q). You'll want to simplify this last expression using deMorgan's Law.

You're going to have to work this out yourself, since the rules of this forum expressly prohibit giving the answers to questions. I have defined statements p and q above, based on your problem, so work with the symbols and plug in the appropriate statements to get your answer in English.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
For the negation of an implication p ==> q, it might be helpful to note that (p ==> q) <==> (p v ~q).
Shouldn't that be (~p v q)? The implication is only false when p is true and q is false.

Yes, you're right. I edited the two posts with this error.

Would this be correct?

p: x is odd and is a multiple of 3
q: x ≥ 6
~p: x is even and x is not a multiple of 3
~q: x ≤ 6

so

Contrapositive

if x ≤ 6, then x is even and x is not a multiple of 3

Negation

x is even and x is not a multiple of 3, therefore x ≤ 6

Tek1Atom said:
Would this be correct?

p: x is odd and is a multiple of 3
q: x ≥ 6
~p: x is even and x is not a multiple of 3
Almost. ~(Q ^ R) <==> ~Q V ~R
Here ^ means "and", V means "or".
Tek1Atom said:
~q: x ≤ 6
If x = 6, then you have both p and ~p being true, which can't possibly happen.
Tek1Atom said:
so

Contrapositive

if x ≤ 6, then x is even and x is not a multiple of 3

Negation

x is even and x is not a multiple of 3, therefore x ≤ 6

Related to Help, Negation and Contrapositive of the following statement?

1. What is the definition of "help", "negation", and "contrapositive"?

Help is the act of providing assistance or support to someone or something. Negation is the opposite or denial of a statement or belief. Contrapositive is a statement that is formed by negating the original statement and reversing the order of the clauses.

2. How do you represent the negation of a statement?

The negation of a statement can be represented by adding the word "not" or the symbol "~" in front of the statement.

3. What is the difference between a contrapositive and a negation?

A contrapositive is a statement that is formed by negating the original statement and reversing the order of the clauses, while a negation is simply the opposite or denial of a statement.

4. How do you determine the truth value of a contrapositive statement?

The truth value of a contrapositive statement is determined by the truth value of the original statement. If the original statement is true, then the contrapositive statement is also true. If the original statement is false, then the contrapositive statement is also false.

5. Why is understanding help, negation, and contrapositive important in science?

In science, we often have to make logical deductions based on given statements and conditions. Understanding help, negation, and contrapositive allows us to manipulate and analyze these statements in order to arrive at accurate conclusions. It also helps us to identify and correct errors in our reasoning.