[Proofs] Proof by contraposition

In summary, to prove that if 2n3 + 3n2 + 4n + 5 is odd, then n is even, we use the contrapositive approach. By definition, a number n is odd if n = 2k + 1 for some integer k. A number n is even if n = 2k for some integer k. Using this, we can rewrite the expression 2n3 + 3n2 + 4n + 5 as 2(2k + 1)³ + 3(2k + 1)² + 4(2k + 1) + 5. By expanding this expression, we can see that 2(
twoski

Homework Statement

For n ∈ Z+ prove by contrapositive that if 2n3 + 3n2 + 4n + 5 is odd then n is even.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If n is odd then ( 2n³ + 3n² + 4n + 5 ) is even.

By definition, a number n is odd if n = 2k + 1 for some integer k. A number n is even if n = 2k for some integer k. If x and y are two integers for which x + y is even, then by definition x and y have the same parity. It follows that two integers will have the same parity if they are both odd or both even.

2(2k + 1)³ + 3(2k + 1)² + 4(2k + 1) + 5

We see here that 2(2k + 1)³ can be written as 2n where n = (2k+1)³. Thus we conclude 2(2k + 1)³ is an even number.

By the same logic, 4(2k + 1) can be written as 2n where n = 2(2k+1).

I get stuck after this... How can i prove 3(2k + 1)² is odd so that i can add it to 5 and get even parity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expand 2(2k + 1)³ + 3(2k + 1)² + 4(2k + 1) + 5 and see what I got.

twoski said:
How can i prove 3(2k + 1)² is odd so that i can add it to 5 and get even parity?

Multiply it out, add 5 to it, and look at what you get.

Related to [Proofs] Proof by contraposition

1. What is the concept of proof by contraposition?

Proof by contraposition is a method of proving a statement by showing that its logical contrapositive is true. The contrapositive of a statement is formed by negating both the hypothesis and conclusion of the original statement. If the contrapositive is true, then the original statement must also be true.

2. How does proof by contraposition differ from direct proof?

In a direct proof, we start with the hypothesis of a statement and use logical reasoning to arrive at the conclusion. In proof by contraposition, we start with the negation of the conclusion and use logical reasoning to show that the negation of the hypothesis must also be true. Both methods ultimately prove the same statement, but proof by contraposition can be useful when the direct proof is difficult to construct.

3. What is an example of a proof by contraposition?

An example of a proof by contraposition is the following: If the sum of two integers is even, then both integers must be even. To prove this, we start with the negation of the conclusion - if one of the integers is odd. From this, we can show that the sum of the two integers must be odd, which contradicts the original statement. Therefore, the original statement must be true.

4. What are the benefits of using proof by contraposition?

Proof by contraposition can be useful in proving statements that are difficult to prove directly. It also allows us to use our knowledge of logical equivalences to simplify complex statements and arrive at a proof more easily. Additionally, proof by contraposition can be a useful tool in disproving statements, as showing that the contrapositive is false automatically invalidates the original statement.

5. Are there any limitations to using proof by contraposition?

Proof by contraposition relies on the property of logical equivalence, which states that a statement and its contrapositive are logically equivalent. This means that the two statements are either both true or both false. If a statement and its contrapositive are not logically equivalent, then proof by contraposition cannot be used. Additionally, proof by contraposition is not always the most efficient method of proof, as it may require several steps to arrive at the conclusion.