Help needed with Verifying Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation is about proving trigonometric identities. The first identity involves converting all terms to sine and cosine and using the formula a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b). The second identity uses the formula tan^2x-cot^2x=(tanx-cotx)(tanx+cotx) and simplifying. The third and fourth identities use the fact that sin^2(2x)+cos^2(2x)=1 and the definition of tangent and cotangent in terms of sine and cosine.
amd123

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{secx-cscx}{secx+cscx}=\frac{tanx-1}{tanx+1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(tan^{2}x - cot^{2}x)}{(tanx + cotx)}= (tanx - cotx)[/tex]

[tex]tan^{2}2x+sin^{2}2x+cos^{2}2x=sec^{2}2x[/tex]

[tex]cot^{2}2x+cos^{2}2x+sin^{2}2x=csc^{2}2x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried many times in my notebook and I'm posting these on hear as a last resort. Could someone please explain how these are done as my teacher LACKS the ability to teach.

Physics news on Phys.org
i am assuming you are trying to prove these identities, right?

Well, show us what you have done so far. For the first one LHS, try to convert all of them into sin and cos, and after that see if you will get any tan's in there.

another helpful formula for the second one is

[tex]a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)[/tex]

Another helpful identity, which you shoul know, is:

[tex] sin^2(H)+cos^2(H)=1[/tex]

Combine all these, and you will do fine!

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/8479/scan0004d.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9265/scan0005o.jpg
sorry that took so long my scanner sometimes doesn't want to scan stuff that's not in dark ink

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]\frac{(tan^{2}x - cot^{2}x)}{(tanx + cotx)}= (tanx - cotx)[/tex]

now what u need to do is

tan^2x-cot^2x=(tanx-cotx)(tanx+cotx), i already provided u with this formula.
Now only simplify out.

On the 3rd and 4th use the fact that

[tex]sin^2(2x)+cos^2(2x)=1[/tex] and also the def. of tan. in terms of cos and sine.

[tex]tan^22x+1=\frac{sin^22x}{cos^22x}+1=..[/tex] find the common denominator and then u are done

Do the same thing for cot.

thanks for the help :D

Related to Help needed with Verifying Trigonometric Functions

1. How do I verify trigonometric functions?

To verify a trigonometric function, you can use the properties of trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity or double angle formulas, to rewrite the expression and show that it is equivalent to the original function.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities used for verifying functions?

Some common trigonometric identities used for verifying functions include the Pythagorean identity (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1), the double angle formulas (sin2x = 2sinxcosx and cos2x = cos^2x - sin^2x), and the half-angle formulas (sin(x/2) = ±√[(1-cosx)/2] and cos(x/2) = ±√[(1+cosx)/2]).

3. How do I know if a trigonometric function is verified?

A trigonometric function is considered verified when it is rewritten using trigonometric identities and shown to be equivalent to the original function. This means that the value of the function will be the same for all values of the angle used in the expression.

4. Can I use a calculator to verify trigonometric functions?

While a calculator can help with computations, it is not recommended to solely rely on it for verifying trigonometric functions. It is important to understand the properties of trigonometric identities and how to use them in order to fully verify a function.

5. Why is it important to verify trigonometric functions?

Verifying trigonometric functions is important because it allows us to confirm the accuracy and validity of an expression. It also helps us to simplify complex expressions and solve more complicated problems involving trigonometric functions.